Author Topic: Very sad news from the vet - UPDATE  (Read 20587 times)

Offline Enelya

• Site Member
Very sad news from the vet - UPDATE
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
Hello there,

I just learned yesterday that my 3 year old boy Maddox has advanced liver cancer. He's been off color for about 10 days and we thought he might be having an infection of some kind when we took him in to see the vet on Monday. I can't believe how fast this has all happened. One minute I'm getting him antibiotics for an infection the next I'm given a leaflet about which cremation service i would like best.
I've spoken to my breeder and she is also very upset and shocked. She said she's never heard of liver issues in Maddox's lineage or in any Cocker she's known herself (she is very active in the Cocker community here in the UK).To spare him any prolonged discomfort we have been advised to come in and put him to sleep by Friday at the latest. I am so very very sad.
Has anyone else heard of liver issues in Cockers? I didn't come across it when i was researching the breed.

If you had to make such a decision can you please share your experience with me? I was not ready to have to make this decision so early in his life and i feel ... well i can't even describe how terrible i feel. We've given him a full  and good life & I know it's for the best thing we can do for him but i can't grasp he'll be gone by the weekend.

I just can't imagine life without him.
Love, E.

Maddox's Momma, living in Manchester

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Very sad news from the vet
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »
So sorry to read this news,  :'( hope you can enjoy the rest of the week with him, and can take comfort that you are making the kindest, most loving gesture possible for him.

Big hugs to you  :luv:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:36:36 AM »
so very sorry  :'( :'( :'( I can't imagine the pain you're going through, this is a terrible thing to happen to such a young dog  :'(

I don't have personal experience of losing a dog like this myself but I know others here will share with you  ;)

Thinking of you, and sending hugs and love to you & Maddox :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline doughy

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:37:37 AM »
So very very sorry to hear your news thinking of you

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:42 AM »
Oh what awful, devastating news. I'm sorry, I can't help with experience, but just wanted to say, you are in my thoughts, at this truly difficult time. Sarah.

Willow and Katie

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:41:06 AM »
Oh my,  :'(  :'(  :'( how awful, poor baby boy...and you.
My heart breaks for you.
One thing they say is better a day too early than a day too late, you should take comfort that you are able to be there for him until the last and save him from any pain.
Thinking of you xx
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline clairegreenhills

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:42:41 AM »
So sorry to hear this, he's so young my heart goes out to you.

I lost my little terrier cross last year, she was ten which is an awful lot older than 3 but it was still a bit young for a small terrier. Its heart breaking, she had a couple of really painful nights where she howled and howled in pain. We were about to PTS but then she passed away herself. Believe me I don't ever want to hear howling like that again so you're doing the right thing no mater how hard it might feel.

I'll be thinking of you  :'(

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:52 AM »
I don't know what to say either except I am so very sorry.
We were in a similar situation with our Westie several years ago.  She was fine when I went to work.  Within 30 minutes my husband rang to say she was crying in pain and he was off to the vet.
To cut a long story short, she had an inoperable tumour and we were advised to have her PTS that afternoon.
Although it was terrible and a dreadful shock to us all, we all had the opportunity to hold her and say our goodbyes (including my son who had been brought up with her and never remembered a time when she wasn't around)
My husband and I stayed with her, and she was happy, comfortable and still wagging her tail to the very end - so although it was horrible, heartbreaking, sad and everything else you can think of for us - for her, she was with those she loved, being cuddled and told how much we loved her as she went so she didn't know any more pain (she had pain killers during her last day so she was comfortable)
Less than a year later, our yorkie was taken ill and was at the vet and ended up not making it - so she died on her own at the vets during the night.

I know which end I would prefer for a dog I loved so take some little shred of comfort that you can make your dogs last days happy and full of love - and no pain - and then when the end comes you can be there for him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this terrible time.
 :luv:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »
Thinking of you, and I know what a shock this is.  My last cocker Lily was only 19 months when we had to make the decision to PTS and she was fine at 10am and made the decision at 3pm but as a loving owner we do have the previlege of making the right choice for our beloved babies - especially if they are in pain.  My heart goes out to you and Maddox and will be sending all my love and cuddles to you and your boy. Make the most of your precious time together. Love Heather xxx

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »
I am so sorry.  I am thinking of you and Maddox too.  

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:28 AM »
Thinking of you and Maddox
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:57 AM »
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and Maddox  :-*
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 08:05:33 AM »
Thinking of you all  :luv:

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:06:15 AM »
i'm so sorry to hear this news,

thinking of you

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:06:54 AM »
How utterly devasting for you - our thoughts are with you and your precious boy.
Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.