Author Topic: Weight/Size chart for cockers  (Read 37645 times)

Offline darby

Weight/Size chart for cockers
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »
I have a 4 month old cocker. She weighs around 4kg. I think she is underweight.

I found an american website with a weight chart for English Cocker Spaniels and according to this chart my pup should weigh between 6.5-7.75 kg.

Is this correct? Does anyone have a weight chart that I could reference, maybe a link to a website so I could confirm the correct weight?

Thanks.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Weight/Size chart for cockers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
You do have to bear in mind that cockers spaniels can be different sizes.

If I've found the same chart it says that an adult female CS should be between 11.4 and 13.8kg, but it doesn't take into account the size of the dog.  Misha is 2.5 years old and is about 9kg - she is a small dog.  Lexi at 18months weighs even less and at our last visit to the vet I was told that she could probably do with losing about half a kilo - she is about the same height as Misha.

I go by eye really and if your pup looks underweight then add a bit more food - when Misha was a pup I had difficulty keeping weight on her (she was fed on Burns puppy) and I doubled her portion size in the end.  Only once she'd had her first season did begin to fill out.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Owner of a diddy cocker here too  :luv: Pops is just about 10kg and a year old...she is just small all over really (but big in character  :005:) She was about the same weight as your little one at that age.

Poppy is perfectly in proportion for her size so I see no problems personally. As long as your pupster is fit and healthy I wouldn't be overly concerned  ;)

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »
Penny is just over 10kilos and was quite a heavy pup at birth but vet says just right andd to keep an eye monthly her weightShe is jus over 14months
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »
Kali is 4 years old and 11.3kg and Lyla is 2 years and only 8.5kg.  As people have said, cocker sizes vary.  If I let Lyla get to what the charts say, she would be a fat bloater!  They have growth spurts as well where the weight seems to fall off them.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
owner of a giant cocker here - not at all fat 16.5inches tall and 16kg. vet happy, he has a waist and you can feel his ribs. but would be overweight on most charts i think. personally i reckon at least 1kg is hair weight
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:48:10 PM »
Just measured Odie, he is 25 weeks old and 9.6kg, nearly 14" high.

I measured from top of shoulder to floor is that correct? :huh:  If so, it seems that he's going to be bigger than the breed standard of 16"!!  I think he looks small and tubby  :005:  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
I also have varying cockers. Mine are workers so you;d expect them to be slightly larger but my oldest is 17.5kgs. Hes got a waist and I can feel his ribs so hes by no means fat.

Meanwhile I have a 7 month old puppy whose only 7kgs. Dexter was up to 13kgs at her age. And If anything shes alittle bit rounder than id like. She put on weight when she was spayed last month due to restricted exercise. Now shes back running around shes starting to even out again.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
TBH and this will sound harsh but I think a lot of owners are in denial about weight problems with their cockers - my SIL is a prime example, it's only when the vet commented that her dog is more than a kilo overweight that she has actually accepted it.

I have had people say to me about their dogs "I can see their waist and feel their ribs" so I let them give Jarv a bit of a feel over  :lol2: (he hovers around 12.9 kgs and he's 15 1/2 inches high to the shoulder, is very compact and is also a fluff bucket so he never looks scrawny)...yes they can see their dog's waist (but it's not obvious) and feel their ribs...but the skin should move freely over the ribs and you should be able to feel the ribs just by a gentle stroke and without the layer of fat underneath - this is usually the difference.

Obviously if you have a taller cocker they weigh more and I don't think 16kgs for a big cocker sounds excessive Linz  ;)

Mine are workers so you;d expect them to be slightly larger

bit of a generalisation - depends on the strain really - mine is from Nancarrow and southern lines and they were bred to be small compact cockers (and Hedley tried his best not to allow any other breed enter his lines which other breeders were encouraging to get larger & more versatile (in their eyes) workers). 

helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »

bit of a generalisation - depends on the strain really - mine is from Nancarrow and southern lines and they were bred to be small compact cockers (and Hedley tried his best not to allow any other breed enter his lines which other breeders were encouraging to get larger & more versatile (in their eyes) workers). 

There seem to be a move round here (Yorkshire) towards large cockers. I went on a few shoots and gun dog shows when searching for breeders and I was surprised how little size difference some of the springers and the cockers.

My youngest dogs breeder did talk quite abit about trying to bring back the smaller variety of working cocker.  I think thats why my girl is so much smaller than the others we see about as he made the concious effort to keep them smaller and mix some of the smaller lines back in. But then he wanted her to go to a pet home as he said she was too small. Theres no pleasing some people. Lol.

Dexters (my oldest) from quite big lines. His dad was certainly bigger than you'd usually see. I was wavering between a springer and a cocker when I was picking a breed so a larger cocker was exactly what we were looking for when we picked Dexter.

I do wonder to what extent there is a regional variation in size. Our local park seems to be full of large versions of each breed- particularly in the gun dogs. (sorry im going off topic now arent i  :shades: )

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:24 AM »
TBH and this will sound harsh but I think a lot of owners are in denial about weight problems with their cockers - my SIL is a prime example, it's only when the vet commented that her dog is more than a kilo overweight that she has actually accepted it.

I have the opposite problem im always saying Flynns fat and people disagree with me. I have argued with two vets about his weight and one said "he only has a little bit of back fat hes fine"  ph34r and another said "i can feel his ribs hes ok" which you can only feel if you push hard enough  ::)

Before i sound really irresponsible I should say Flynn has been on a diet for ages and hard as we try we just cant shift his weight.

Brie hoovers around 10kgs which is perfect for her and jack around 14.5kgs which is perfect for him. Both are in fantastic shape and dont have a bit of fat on them.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
Back to the OP's original question, I haven't come across a single weight/size chart that hasn't had me worried there is something wrong with my dogs... for a second. Then I look at them and know they're ok ;).

My cocker is at the smaller end of the range for male dogs (he's about 15 Inches high and for his first year and a half he didn't go over about 10.5 Kilos. He is a bit heavier at the moment (12.5 Kilos) and it's too much for him as he's quite light framed, but unfortunately I have a 1 yr old daughter that's sneaking him her dinners ::) My Weimaraner is VERY difficult to keep at the right weight she's a very big (tall and quite strong boned) bitch but also has an overly deep chest which makes her look like she's carrying a bit of weight sometimes so I cut her food back then within 2 days I can see her hip bones... which is too light obviously.

A dog also needs to be 'fit' and have a good level of muscle to be the right weight and cover their frame also so there are a number of factors that you need to consider - although this will apply less for a younger pup as they don't develop their muscle properly until they are older (over 1yr).

I've just checked Dave's health records and he was 4.6 Kilo's at nearly 3 months but although a small-ish adult, he was a big pup!... so don't get too worried about that. If you're concerned about her weight (forget charts, does she look/feel a bit skinny?) then it's best to pop her along to the vets or back to your breeder for their opinion before tackling it. Hope that helps!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline dkirkuk

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
I totally agree with all those who have said that you should judge with your eyes, however if it helps I found the chart on the attached website when I was looking for a guide for weighing my newborn puppies a few weeks ago.
http://www.powerscourt-cockers.co.uk/advice_pages/cocker_spaniel_weight.htm

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »

I have one of each, Freyas very petite as are her mum and dad. Although not yet fully grown shes halted around 8-8.5kg. Harvey on the other hand is going to be a big boy. Hes 4.5kg at nine weeks  :o

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
I have the opposite problem im always saying Flynns fat and people disagree with me. I have argued with two vets about his weight and one said "he only has a little bit of back fat hes fine"  ph34r and another said "i can feel his ribs hes ok" which you can only feel if you push hard enough  ::)

Before i sound really irresponsible I should say Flynn has been on a diet for ages and hard as we try we just cant shift his weight.

Brie hoovers around 10kgs which is perfect for her and jack around 14.5kgs which is perfect for him. Both are in fantastic shape and dont have a bit of fat on them.

I have exactly the same thing with Lexi - she weighs less than Misha, is about the same height, but has a much finer bone structure.  She's been on restricted intake for a couple of months now but she does look chunky and she feels chunky too.  I'm starting to think that she would do well on thin air  :lol2:.  

I personally do prefer the dogs to be leaner as it puts less stress on their joints (especially as they're doing agility), Roly in particular as he is a tall cocker at 17" , weighs about 13kg which sounds too little, but he is on maximum rations and is an entire dog and I think he looks fine.

I do think that some dogs just do well on smaller rations, and obviously neutering has a factor to play as well.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love