Author Topic: Spayed working Cocker - change in coat and skin condition  (Read 3717 times)

Offline vanl

Spayed working Cocker - change in coat and skin condition
« on: July 30, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »
Hi, I had my Cocker spayed last September and I knew her coat would change. In fact, having read quite a few posts about the changes that occur it seems I don't really have much to complain about... It is still soft and has not gone curly. I certainly don't need to consider having her clipped.

What has changed in the past few months that I would like advice on is the condition of her skin which has become flaky on her lower back where the new fluffy hair has grown on. I would like to hear specially from breeders if bitches need anything added or taken away from their diets after they are spayed due to the hormones levels change, etc.

I was advised to add the following to her diet: salmon oil, evening primrose oil and seaweed powder in a bid to improve her coat and skin. It has been a week since I started giving her these and already there seems to an improvement!

Currently I feed her Vitalin Active (http://www.vitalinpetfood.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/VitalinCompletePetFood/_Active%2015/283512/Active), but from next week or so I will start feeding her their Adult kibbles (http://www.vitalinpetfood.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/VitalinCompletePetFood/_Adult/283513/Adult) which is gluten free.

I have used the Furminator on her coat but after reading a few posts on this site I have decided put it to rest and I am only using a comb with an elastic band.

She also seems to be shedding alot more hair than usual. Does this have to do with a Summer coat she is losing or something?

I would really appreaciate any advice. Many thanks

Van & Millie x

Offline kerrie

Re: Spayed working Cocker - change in coat and skin condition
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:50:13 PM »
I also use Salmon oil on both my speyed girls with great success.
It is so lovely to watch them both sit and lick each others lips!! :D

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
As both my girls are spayed and I have noticed that Holly's coat is very dry, I will try out these..can you tell me  where you can get the salmon oil / seaweed powder from.

Offline vanl

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »
I got salmon oil and evening primrose oil capsules from Holland & Barretts as they were on promotion! I know you can get salmon oil from fish4dogs as well.
The seaweed powder I got from www.medicanimal.com

I did a bit of research on the seaweed powder to see if anyone recommended a specific one but I couldn't find anything.

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:50:43 PM »
Thank you so much vanl, will get them some.
val

Offline kerrie

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
salmon oil available here
http://www.fish4dogs.com/Categories/Dog-Shop/salmon-oil-dog.aspx
look out for the special offers

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »
Salmon oil is great for coats, but remember to give with Vit E if it is not included in the capsule form.
Spaniels In Need

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »
CSJ - the Welsh company that does food and supplements especially for working dogs - has a really good salmon oil.

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=109&idcategory=0