Author Topic: Thornit Ear Powder  (Read 6065 times)

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
Thornit Ear Powder
« on: December 09, 2004, 03:38:47 PM »
Hi,

I was talking to my vet last night and I mentioned Thornit Ear powder, he said you should never use powder in a dogs ear as it can become blocked and that its dangerous.  :blink:

I am now worried as I was gonna buy some to have in for when the new pup arrives in January.

I know everyone seems to rave about it here, so I can't understand why he said it is so wrong.

Any advice gratefully received!
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 04:02:29 PM »
Debbie - no expert on this I'm afraid.  All I know is that when I had my previous dog Bilbo I must have spent hundreds of pounds on ear creams and potions from the vet and he had trouble all his life!

I read about Thornit and when I got Georgie decided to give it a try.  I know Georgie is only 2 1/2 and Daisy 1 1/ 2 but so far so good - no nasty smelly wax so far.  :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 04:28:19 PM »
It's up to you whether you choose to use Thornit or not but used correctly, it is not dangerous (for preventative use, just a pinch of powder in each ear is quite enough) I have been using it for nearly 20 years now & our vets are always impressed with how clean our Cockers' ears are ;) There is not much point mentioning remedies like Thornit to a vet - it is not a veterinary product, just a remedy used successfully by many, many dog owners for years & years.

Jane
Jane

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 06:03:39 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

I did think 'oh god why did i say that' to the vet, cause I know they can be funny with alternative medicines and he did seem in quite a bad mood last night anyway.

Jane, how often do you use it?  Would you start using it in a puppy?

Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 08:02:14 PM »
Buddy had an ear infection when he was young. The vets prescribed the normal eardrops, all they did was make it worse. One pinch of Thornit did the trick beautifully. The powder dried up the dampness which had made the problem worse. I use it only very very occasionally and have never had any recurrence of the problem with either of my boys.

Used properly Thornit is fine.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline mum of kimmi

• Site Member
  • some days are harder than others!!
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 08:27:07 PM »
where can you get it?

We are forever trying to keep kimmi's ears dry and clean - she just seems to put her whole ear into everything, and they end up really wet and dirty inside.

Kimmi's mum

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 08:32:18 PM »
:) Sarah - you can buy it at www.championpetsonline.com

Sue x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:15:17 PM »

Jane, how often do you use it?  Would you start using it in a puppy?
Sorry for butting in here, but thought I'd add my two pennuth  :)
I ONLY use if the ears start to look a little red, if the dog starts to scratch or shake it's head or if they look, what I call call "dirty" ie if there is any trace of any coloured wax/discharge.
I don't use it on a regular basis as a preventative, my theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"  :)
This works for me & mine, but I'm not condemming the way others may use it.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 11:24:34 PM »
Jane, how often do you use it?  Would you start using it in a puppy?
I don't really use it with young puppies unless there's a problem but I do use it as part of the grooming routine with the adults, not that often though, just once every few weeks (when I'm doing the normal teeth cleaning, ear cleaning routine). This is what works for me anyway :)

Jane
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 03:33:10 PM »
I work in a vets, and took my bottle of Thornit in and asked the vet. He said in his opinion, it wouldn't do any harm, which is all I needed to hear. Indie is one now, and I've used it twiceon him. His ears are perfect - we get a lot of cokcers in with ears so bad you can smell them from the door, and I wish I could spread the word about this stuff.

I use it ONLY when the ears are dirty looking and moist - a tiny pinch, and it clumps up all the discharghe so it can be removed easily. I think it's fabulous stuff.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 06:22:37 PM »
I've heard of this Thornit Ear Powder several month ago.

I imported it from the U.K. had some difficulties going through customs. It looked just like some drugs like cocaine LOL and also not a liscensed medicine.  So I had to explain everything I knew to the custom office B)

But it was worth doing that.

I knew some dogs who had a serious ear problems. one of them was just about to have surgery.

now he is perfectly ok. he didn't have surgery. only used thornit for a few days.

I believe Thornit is one of the biggist tips which I got from this lovely forum.

It is quite  worth a  try.

God bless you and your lovely dog.

ChangBin(Chris)

Offline lindsey

• Site Member
    • Soroden Cockers
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 09:14:25 PM »
I work at a vets too and although my vets are not relly into alternative medicine, we do have a supply of thornit on the shelf for clients who want it. :)  
Lindsey, Sophie, Rosie, Molly, Gypsy, Aimee, Harry and Ellie

sweetie

Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 12:40:30 AM »
It's up to you whether you choose to use Thornit or not but used correctly, it is not dangerous (for preventative use, just a pinch of powder in each ear is quite enough) I have been using it for nearly 20 years now & our vets are always impressed with how clean our Cockers' ears are ;) There is not much point mentioning remedies like Thornit to a vet - it is not a veterinary product, just a remedy used successfully by many, many dog owners for years & years.

Jane
my vet did say how lovely and clean mabe,s ears where,i didn,t tell him it was thornits,,don,t know why,,maybe i knew they would object to some point,, :P
but these are the same people who said there was nothing wrong with her ears,when i took her,,because she was scratching so much it worried me,at the first appointment,,suppose,its all to do with,,"i haven,t trained all these years to be told by some amateur what to prescribe"fair enough,,but,,it does work,and if it works,,don,t change it :)  

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 09:32:29 AM »
Weve always used Leo ear cleaner on Nell,  but after hearing about Thornit we ordered some.
We only use it when necessary, and very sparingly, and we havn'e had any problems with her ears since using it.  :D  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Thornit Ear Powder
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 03:01:52 PM »
Thank you for posting this.  I had been wondering about how to go about cleaning Storms ears...she has started shaking her head a little recently, and scratching her ears which are starting to show a little wax in there.  No sign of mites or anything, think they just need a clean.  If so many of you experienced owners recommend thornit then I will order some and see if it helps her.

Thanks,

sportsmonki