Author Topic: Thornit  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Gayle and Bailey

• Site Member
Thornit
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »
Hi Everyone

Ive read a lot of the old posts on Thornit.  Bailey has been suffering with his ears we have been cleaning regularly with epiotic and cleanaural and when didnt seem to be going away we also went to vets and got canaural which got his ear back under control although a little brown wax was still coming out.

After reading loads on here about thornit I bought a bottle and used it twice a day for five days then stopped and was giving them a daily wipe.  He is now producing more brown wax so have started to wipe them with ear cleaner & start thornit again.

He has never had ear trouble before & wonder if thornit will clear this completely or if I will need to go back to vet for another antibiotic

Can you let me know your thoughts on this one especially if you have been through the same. 

PS my goldie has one waxy ear too

Thannks
Gayle, Bailey & Jura xx
Gayle, Bailey and Jura xx

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
Re: Thornit
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
i was hoping someone with more expertise would reply but looks like you're stuck with me!  :lol2:

When bailey had a sore ear I used Thornits once a week and it cleared it up great.
However, it came back a few months lather and I had to get cleanaural. This cleared his ear up nicely and i now put a dab of thornits in usually every month (or actually when I remember!) I've never heard of putting it in twice a day - hopefully someone can tell us if it's right or wrong but I personally wouldn't do it as it just seems to be too much going into his ear.  :-\

I think in this case I would go back to my vet & explain it has not cleared up and try and find a definitive solution. If, hopefully, you manage to resolve the problem i would pop a dab in once a month as you know what they say, prevention is better than cure!!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 03:15:23 PM »
Unfortunately I am in the same position with Brodie, she is really suffering with her ears at the moment :'(. I am using both canaural and thornits (the leaflet I got with the thornits advised using it twice a day for a number of days http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=428243&p_i=428243) but it really isn't helping :-\. I'll be phoning the vets tomorrow for an appointment as I really don't know where to go from here :huh:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
Mason has never had problems with his ears but once I read about Thornit I started using it weekly to try and guard against any problems.  

How long was it before Baileys ears started to become waxy again?  I mean after the 5 day Thornit treatment?

Unfortunately I am in the same position with Brodie, she is really suffering with her ears at the moment :'(. I am using both canaural and thornits (the leaflet I got with the thornits advised using it twice a day for a number of days http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=428243&p_i=428243) but it really isn't helping :-\. I'll be phoning the vets tomorrow for an appointment as I really don't know where to go from here :huh:

Just a thought Jenny but have you tried just using the Thornit Powder on it's own for a few days? I have never had to use drops in Masons ears but I wonder if using both drops and powder then the Thornit isn't getting into the ear as it will probably be clumping with the moisture of the drops and therefore not doing its job :dunno:
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »
My cocker pebbles has a really bad infection in her ear at the moment, she is on antibiotics and ear wash.  My vet said to use white wine vinegar  1part vinegar to 10 parts water, this is to just help with the healing process and to nutralise any thing else that might be lurking in there.  So far so good it does help to get some of the muck out of them give it a try it's not expensive, only 97p a bottle at sainsburys. x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Gayle and Bailey

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »
I've never heard of putting it in twice a day - hopefully someone can tell us if it's right or wrong but I personally wouldn't do it as it just seems to be too much going into his ear.  :-\

Hiya thanks for your reply - I put it in twice a day for five days as per the instructions that came with it

Offline Gayle and Bailey

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:13:05 PM »

Poor Brodie - give her a hug from us
Since posting this originally I have started to give his ears a clean in morning & put thornit in at night - seems to be helping, hes not shaking his head like he was and less brown wax coming out. hopefully we are getting there :-))

Offline Gayle and Bailey

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »

How long was it before Baileys ears started to become waxy again?  I mean after the 5 day Thornit treatment?

Only a day or two.  I started using again once a day & seems to be helping

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:53:01 PM »
Mason has never had problems with his ears but once I read about Thornit I started using it weekly to try and guard against any problems.  

Just a thought Jenny but have you tried just using the Thornit Powder on it's own for a few days? I have never had to use drops in Masons ears but I wonder if using both drops and powder then the Thornit isn't getting into the ear as it will probably be clumping with the moisture of the drops and therefore not doing its job :dunno:

I was just using the thornits before I got the drops from the vet and it didn't really seem to help, I might just try by itself again as what you have said about it clumping makes sense, Elaine :D. Maybe I didn't give it enough time? Worth a try anyway, she's got to go to the vets anyway next week so I'll see what they say about her ears then.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »
Quick question.
Can I find thornit in pharmacies in England or it's only on internet?
I have an English friend who will go to England & could buy it for me...
thanks
Julie
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »
Quick question.
thanks
Julie

As far as I am aware Julie it is only available online.  You can buy it

here http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/home.cfm

here http://www.thornitearpowder.co.uk/

and here http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx

Elaine & Mason X

Offline Gayle and Bailey

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »
Julie, your Scarlett is beautiful x

Offline Scarlett

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:31:20 AM »
Quick question.
thanks
Julie

As far as I am aware Julie it is only available online.  You can buy it

here http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/home.cfm

here http://www.thornitearpowder.co.uk/

and here http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx

thanks!  :D

What about if I ask the pharmacist if he can make the recipe of it?

4 oz. zinc oxide powder
4 oz. boric acid powder
1/2 oz. Iodoform powder
+ talc
What do you think?

Offline Scarlett

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Julie, your Scarlett is beautiful x
thanks !!  :D

Offline Scarlett

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
Quick question.
thanks
Julie
Just received my small Thornit bottle from Champion pet!
Scarlett's ears never had mites so, how often and when can I use it to prevent it?
I mean after bath, before etc.
thanks
J