Author Topic: Thornit  (Read 6308 times)

Offline SJP

• Site Member
Re: Thornit
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
I put a pinch in Lola's ears about once a month as a preventative measure.  I find the easiest way is on the end of a teaspoon.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »
I put a pinch in Lola's ears about once a month as a preventative measure.  I find the easiest way is on the end of a teaspoon.
thanks!!
You put in,  outside the ear canal, or both?
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »
I just pop into her ear.  Then massage her ears so that it works its way down. 
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
Yeah I just pop some into Maggie's once a month or so or if they are smelling a little musty... just pop it round the outside of the ear, don't put it down inside, and just give it a massage, she loves it now :)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Scarlett

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »
thanks all!  :D

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »
I posted a thread 'Ear problems' last week as I am having ongoing probs with Alfie's ears, which are very thick despite trips to the groomers every 8 weeks and trying to thin them myself in between.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=78219.0

He is now on his third bottle of Canaural in less than 2 mths. He had a break in between but when I took him for his 1 yr booster last week the vet said he had a lot of dark matter at the bottom again. I had hoped to use Thornit when his ears were improved as a preventative measure but Alfie's ears haven't been clear for long enough. He has to go back in 3 weeks to have them checked after the latest course of Canaural. As nothing is happening too fast with the Canaural I decided to get some Thornit powder to use when the Canaural is finished but was a bit unsure exactly how to use it as there were conflicting suggestions for its use between the replies and directions from Champion Pet Supplies so I emailed them for clarity.This is the response I received today:-
"Thornit works best when used on it's own as other treatments can hinder it's performance.
There are several methods of applying Thornit and we advise you to use which ever way you find easiest. Thornit can be rubbed onto any part of the body or applied into the ear. I personally simply put a small amount of the powder into the cap of the bottle then tip into my dogs ear, give a quick rub to massage the powder into the ear and the ear flap.
The only thing we do recommend is that after a course of treatment with Thornit it is a good idea to thoroughly 'wash the ears out' with a good cleaner. This helps to remove any of the powder which may have worked its way deep down into the ear and formed a ball with any wax that has built up ( this is why some vets state it is wrong to put powder into a dog's ears as there have been cases where the powder has blocked the ear causing problems when, in serve cases, too much powder has combined with excessive wax and got stuck in the ear.)
We usually recommend a normal course of treatment as follows - (1) use Thornit every day for around 5 days (2) then wash the ears out with a cleaner to remove any debris deep down in the ear (3) Then leave the ears to dry for a day or two before starting again with another 5 day course of Thornit if the problem is bad."

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »
I have used thornits on Lucy for years, she gets a good pinch in each ear canal about once a month or if her ears get a bit musty. Aside from grass seeds and one manky ear when we hadn't used thornits for a few months, she has been clear of problems.

I would say using thornits daily was a tad extreme and would not be surprised if it clogged the ears up, using it with liquids might also cause clogging. I would only use it on it's own and no more than weekly.

The biggest problem is to keep the air circulating around their ears, you need to keep the hair on the inside of the ears trimmed short - i clip Lucy's with a No 10 blade and this seems to do the trick.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
Quick question.
Can I find thornit in pharmacies in England or it's only on internet?
I have an English friend who will go to England & could buy it for me...
thanks
Julie
Just received my small Thornit bottle from Champion pet!
Scarlett's ears never had mites so, how often and when can I use it to prevent it?
I mean after bath, before etc.
thanks
J

I dust some Thornits into Masons ears once every two weeks.  I use a small make up brush out of a kit I never used  :D 
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
I dust some Thornits into Masons ears once every two weeks.  I use a small make up brush out of a kit I never used  :D 
What an excellent idea!
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Scarlett

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
I put into her ears a small amount 2 days ago and it still smells... :005:
not so badly, but strong and strange...
Mario asked "what did you do to the dog and it smells" ?
"English magic" I said :lol:

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »
....I like the smell of Thornits  ph34r
Sally & Lola xxx