Author Topic: Am I being silly?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
Am I being silly?
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »
my rescue girl Red, of six weeks has been barking at people and grumpy of other dogs for a few days. I have put this down as a behavioural problem as she gained her confidence, but little miss jump right in doesn't seems a little quieter tonight, so I am thinking maybe a visit to the vets is in order?

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
Re: Am I being silly?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »
I'm assuming that as a rescue dog, Red has been spayed? If not, she could be coming into season.

Otherwise, yes, if she's 'out of sorts' I'd pop her along to the vets. If only to put your mind at rest.

Have you checked that her gums are nice and pink?
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
She wasn't spayed and has just come out of season (so booked for the op end of October)

Gums looking great, no aggression towards the kids or my older dog, although he is a little protective of her which gives signals to me (I may not be fully fluent in Red language, but I am an expert in Harveys!)

I think I will just pop her along to make sure that I am not looking at a health issue...I would hate to think that I am trying to use my behaviour to signal an unwanted one from her (turned back etc)  and she was really just letting me know she was poorly

Offline maddy74

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »
Maybe its the weather, it is hot today, well at least here in the midlands it is.....

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
It's been a couple of days with her being funny towards anyone that isn't family or close friends (Midlands - Shropshire here) and she hasn't tried to butt in when I'm fussing Harvey tonight, and she didn't want to be groomed. Something isn't right...my mother thinks it is a stomach ache, but I think I will get her checked out. I know her well enough to see something isn't right now, but not well enough to think what it is if that makes sense.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
I know what you mean, it might be tummy ache like you say, better to be safe than sorry, a trip to the vets is prob the best idea, keep us in the loop of how she gets on.....xxxx

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
i would take her, we dont want a pyometra, these infctions can strike at anytime, despite what the books say, as I know only too well, take her temperature if you can.
Alternatively it could be hormonal i.e phantom pregnancy, my bitch had her season and for 2 months she was like an old dog , then once she was through that she bounced out the other end like a manic monkey

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
I took her and had a checked over from head to foot (I had orginally been told that she had a season in May yet she came into season in the first week here (six weeks ago).

She is absolutely fine, but I had a little odd advice...give her and Harvey a bath using the same shampoo. I was a little confused, but did as told...you know what? She perked up in some ways and calmed down in others!

Bob Martin saved the day!

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
Glad to hear that Red is fit and well....

.....and that bathing her in the same shampoo as Harvey seems to have helped. :)

I guess that it makes her smell more like one of the 'pack' and may help her to feel more settled.

I was thinking about her this morning and just wanted to add that some of our rescue dogs have had wobbles a couple of months in and I always reckon it takes a good six months for them to really settle. Hopefully Red will soon be back to her usual happy self x
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
So glad that Red is fit and well.  That's a good tip about the shampoo to make them smell the same, that's well worth knowing.

Our Megan who is also a rescue, took about six months to settle into a home life but she is an only dog.(For the moment).

Love

Gwyneth Colin and Megan  XXX
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »
I always reckon it takes a good six months for them to really settle. Hopefully Red will soon be back to her usual happy self x

I would agree with that. The vets visit soothed any fears, but let's be honest...she is getting to be a mouthy little miss and now I know there is a behaviour issue to be dealt with I am happy to go ahead with dealing with that.

Oh dear lord! I shall be straight in that forum!

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Forgot to mention, for the first two months after Megan arrived, she never barked at all.  After three months, we're looking for the OFF switch.

But we love her to bits

Gwyneth Colin and Megan

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »
Forgot to mention, for the first two months after Megan arrived, she never barked at all.  After three months, we're looking for the OFF switch.

But we love her to bits

Gwyneth Colin and Megan

I can relate to that, but she is deliberately winding Harvey up...bit of a tart that one! I was about to explain, but this is the wrong forum and wondered if I could PM you on this?

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 07:55:05 AM »
Yes, by all means PM us anytime

Gwyneth Colin and Megan

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »

But we love her to bits

Gwyneth Colin and Megan

I can relate to that, but she is deliberately winding Harvey up...bit of a tart that one! I was about to explain, but this is the wrong forum and wondered if I could PM you on this?
Unspeyed bitches can be very hormonal, she has just come out of a season and its possible she is having a phantom, even though the vets didn't mention it, My Belle had a Phantom after her last season, she was just quiet and a bit moody, now she is all better she is back to bossing Monty around and trying to mount him every 5 mins (dominance thing with our Belle as she is the boss and always has been). She is not deliberately trying to wind Harvey up with her behaviour, she has no control over her hormones, the moodiness will stop once she is spayed ;). Other issues of course will need attention but if she is acting in what appears to be a sexual way with Harvey , then its not 'her fault' dogs don't deliberately 'wind up' others dogs in that way ;) Glad it was nothing serious at the vets ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty