Author Topic: 4 Year old suddenly poo eating  (Read 608 times)

Offline angie68

• connie
4 Year old suddenly poo eating
« on: November 21, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
Hi Connie is 4 1/2 and today ate her own poo which she hasnt done since she was under a year and then it wasnt very often but occasionally she would eat it.  But what's more worrying is that we went out virtually straight away to the field and half way round she ate another dog's poo.  I feel sick but worried if somethings wrong with her.  She was wormed 2 weeks ago and was frontlined last night.  We have noticed at times that after frontline the following day she can act a bit grumbly but she has never eaten another dog's poo before.   I will watch her closely but i'm just concerned.  If anyone has any suggestions or advice i'll be grateful to hear.
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: 4 Year old suddenly poo eating
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
Have you change her food recently? 
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
That would be my first question too.  ;)
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:05:41 PM »

No changes to her food, she did have some new dog biscuits yesterday so maybe thats what's caused her to eat the poo.
It just seemed odd that suddenly she did it and to eat another dogs poo which was on leaves so she ate those too is the first time she has ever done that and not something i want to become a habit.
I think i will just watch her closely to make sure she's okay.
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
It is a bit yucky isn't it? When I raised my last litter after weaning I fed them on a very well known and respected puppy kibble. I only bred very sporadically but it was a surprise that for the first time the puppies took to poo eating.

I took advice from a very well respected cocker breeder who advised that the puppy kibble contained so much protein that the puppies thought the pooh was just another source of food.

Could it be that your dog has come across a protein packed pooh?

My dogs don't eat pooh thankfully, but my pal's lab has a penchant for sheep's doodahs and I don't suppose we will get an answer to that.

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »
I'm just hoping it was a one off as the thought of this becoming a regular thing just turns my stomache.  I must say she is very quiet tonight and has been all afternoon so maybe she now has a tummy ache.  It's so unlike her it makes me wonder if she is feeling poorly and for some reason maybe she thought the poo might make her feel better  :004:
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline CospyCockerSpaniel

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
The dog may have food problems or behavioral problems. You should prevent him from eating poop because he might get sick.
American Cocker Spaniel training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have them all???