Author Topic: Sleepy bitch...  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
Sleepy bitch...
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »
Pippa doesn't seem quite herself the last few days, either hyper out on walks (so much so I think will have to limit to around the garden only - had to get her by the scruff earlier and carry her home when she started to go loopy on the way back from school - only 2mins away) or wanting to sleep when at home (but not lethargic, will rouse easily if she thinks you are going anywhere).

Have spoken to my sister who is a vet and she suggested she may be coming into season - not noticed any spotting yet but she is a black dog so not the easiest to see and my attempts at wiping with a tissue not the easiest as she LOVES to eat tissues! Need to have a proper check later once she wakes up again (feels too mean to wake her)- she suggested gently pulling the vulva apart to look inside where she can't lick (she has been licking that area more recently).

She is 9.5months so about the right sort of time I suppose. Have read the sticky at the top of the forum but it doesn't stop you worrying does it!

Took her to the beach on Saturday and she had a great time racing around like a looney but showed an interest in sniffing dogs bottoms for the first time ever... (never out of sight!) Sunday I was working so hubby was in charge, monday was ok (agility was cancelled anyway), tuesday was the first real day she was funny on her walk and since I was feeling ill we didn't go to obedience, yesterday was only a short walk as well due to me feeling rough and thats about it.

We did try her on different food recently but have switched her back to what she was OK on before. Eating & drinking OK. Not sure what else to check for!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Sleepy bitch...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
I would also think she might be coming into season  :-\
Keep an eye on her & check her daily  :shades:
They do sometimes become more sleepy/cuddly/clingy at this time.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline dottysmum

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »
This can sometimes go on for quite a while before they actually start so try not to worry too much but have a check of her every few days, it doesn't have to be swabbing as such you can usually tell by looking as they 'puff up' around their back end :-)

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »
Certainly sounds like she may be coming into season  :shades:

Coda tends to become very tired/clingy for a good week before any other obvious signs of her season appear then a few days before any 'show' she becomes 'swollen' and tends to wee rather more often too  ph34r

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline Izzyburgin

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »
My bitch Izzy has also been like this for the last few days - shes just over 9 months! She also wakes very easy but is sleepy and seems miserable! x

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
It must be the spring because Penny seems to be coming in as well! She's doing a lot of licking of her bits and other dogs seem interested in them too. No signs of swelling as yet, but hyperactive behaviour for the last few days, followed by sleepiness and 'oddness' today makes me think it's just round the corner.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
Good to know its not just mine behaving oddly then.

I'm nervous now to take her for an off lead walk just incase.

Still no clear signs other than the behaviour.

She's cute though - has just found a patch of sunlight on the kitchen floor to fall asleep on - its a slate floor so would have thought her bed was more comfy but it must be warm.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
Penny is definitely in season now. She's doing a lot of licking and keeping herself clean (and Jonny dog is being very attentive and licking her too!). Things are swelling up as well. It was only by chance that I noticed a tiny wee spot of blood, otherwise I'd have missed it.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
Well finally we have definite proof - lots of interest from dogs on our walk on tuesday, vulva massively swelled on wednesday (so much so that our daughter had noticed she was sitting funny as obviously too tender to sit normally) and spotting started today.

Now to get her booked in to be spayed in a few months time....