Author Topic: Lungworm: Advocate vs Panacur  (Read 43442 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Lungworm: Advocate vs Panacur
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
There are a few things you can try.

First read this page
www.merialvetsite.com/sites/fields/FleaWormingTreatments1506.html

www.merkvetinarymanual.com

Then read my big post on the first page and Google every site and stuff I have mentioned and you can then cross reference everything and probably come to the same conclusion I did. It took me a long time.

I am still moving so can't spend time over it at the moment but all the information in that long post can be looked up on Google. Takes time but tells you the only cure for Lungworm the type we are worried about is Panacur.

Hope that is of some help hun.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
I have just spoken to one of the vet nurses at my practice and she said Milbemax has not been licensed to prevent lungworm  :-\ but TBH,i would prefer to talk to the vet that i trust about it but she was in surgery,it will keep, i will contact them again.

Soooooo,meanwhile i have read through the whole thread again and i will look at the links you gave Mel (thanku  ;) ) and make my head hurt a little bit more with info overload.

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline max2011

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
To be honest my vet didn't know until she rang the manufacturers up and asked them the situation so may be worth asking your vet to contact them and find out. We were told it is in process of being licensed but due to a certain code of practice ( can't remember name) she is allowed to prescribe it. Would be interested to hear what the manufacturers would say to a vet now.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »
The vets don't seem to be putting that much importance on the subject, well mine isn't - he is very matter of fact about the whole scenario.  If THEY spoke with the manufacturers of Milbemax, I'm sure they would get a favourable response - i.e. the makers of Milbemax I'm sure would advise the veterinary profession if/when they are going to licence as a preventative.  As for  us, we are going around in circles still, at the mercy of the powers that be.  

We have limited choices:

1.  Advocate is licensed to prevent lungworm, so if you don't mind using these type of preventatives, this could be for you.
2.  At the moment, we believe Milbemax offers a reduced amount of lungworm infestation if administered monthly (?), but we have no clue if it will ever be licensed to prevent lungworm, at least at the moment.
3. If a dog does become infected, then Panacur apparently treats a lungworm infestation.

So, I have opted for #2 in the hope my dog is getting some protection, as in view of the alternatives, this is the "best" choice, for me, at the moment.

Mel, thanks for the research you are doing, it is appreciated.  I know you are doing your best to keep us informed but IMHO I feel we are banging our heads against a brick wall at the moment.  The more we try to find answers, the more confused we become.  I'm totally disappointed with the veterinary profession and the drug manufacturers who just seem unable to provide us with the information we require in order to provide the best we can for our dogs.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
Tend to agree Neon.... I was at the vets again today and actually spoke to the vet direct about it.  She basically said it can be used to prevent lungworm but that it would need a much more frequent dose than advocate because it won't stay in their system as long... but she said its not something milbemax will document because its not licensed for prevention. So... catch 22  :-\
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »

Mel, thanks for the research you are doing, it is appreciated.  I know you are doing your best to keep us informed but IMHO I feel we are banging our heads against a brick wall at the moment.  The more we try to find answers, the more confused we become.  I'm totally disappointed with the veterinary profession and the drug manufacturers who just seem unable to provide us with the information we require in order to provide the best we can for our dogs.

I couldn't agree more with this.

Mel has put a lot into her research and has been good enough to share it with us  ;)

For me,for now i'm still at this stage as Mel (neon) describes.

but she said its not something milbemax will document because its not licensed for prevention.

And yet Mels' vet said the licence HAS been granted.No-one is on the same page,where's that roll eyes smiley.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.