Author Topic: Stinging Nettles  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Lily Pup

Stinging Nettles
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »
Poor Lily seems to be affected by nettles  :016:

We've just come in from an evening walkies and she's beside herself, crying and scratching the floor, chewing her paws and generally going mad  :o  She's got little stings all over her belly too  :'(

I've washed her down and given her a Piriton and hopefully when that kicks in she'll be happier

I didn't even notice them as they're so small but they seem to be everywhere at the moment  :-\

Is there anything else I can give / do that'll make her less supceptible to them??   Will she grow out of it??

It's so upsetting seeing her like this  :'(

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Stinging Nettles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »
Freya suffers the same, its awful, piriton does it for me, she usually goes to sleep and wakes up an hour later cured. There are loads of baby nettles sprouting now, the donkey field is covered and Freya suffers almost instantly  :'( I think you've done all you can

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
Jarvis suffers - young nettles are the worst for him.

if they are really really really affecting her you could give her 1/2 a piriton BEFORE her walk so she doesn't have that wait for the anti-histimine to kick in afterwards -  also standing them in a shallow warm bath with bicarb soda in it is really soothing.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Just to add I hoped Freya would toughen up with age but afraid no change  >:(

Offline Lily Pup

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
Thanks, just a waiting game now for the Piriton to kick in  :'( 

Never had a dog affected by them before, is it something to do with her having pink paw pads do you think??  Are yours affected all year round or just by the new growth in spring??

Thanks for your quick replies, feel much better now but will be happier when she finally crashes out

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
Freya has black pads so I don't think thats the issue, guess some are more sensitive to them. These young nettles are by far the worst. Freya has learnt to avoid older nettles but they step on these not knowing thats what they are doing

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »
Sorry Lily is suffering :(

Fizz does too, but only with the young nettles at this time of year. We have a couple of episodes a year and then she's fine.

Like the others, I give Piriton and use the bicarb bath. If you haven't got any bicarbonate of soda in the house, even standing her in some shallow cool / lukewarm water will be soothing.
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
 >:D    I know just how poor Lily feels said she who went dog walking in a field in flippity flop shoes yesterday  :012:

I've never really had a problem before but this year the sprouting nettles do seem pretty bad  :-\  - not sure if that's down to the mild winter or not but had to carry Tinker back to the car on a walk the other week - her poor feet really were affected - Livie too but couldn't carry the two   :013:   :005:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Lily Pup

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
Just stood her in a sink of warm water with Bicarbs and she fell asleep  :005:  Bless her, they're still sore but she's not whineing anymore, just trying to keep her calm now so the piriton can do it's job

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
I think as they grow higher Jarvis can avoid the nettles more   ;) The new baby ones seem to be the worst but that's probably a combination of them being underfoot combined with new growth

He has brown/black pads and has always been affected   :-\  He knows what they look like now so will avoid them (except if there is a pheasant in the cover  :lol2:)

We did resort to piriton pre-walk when he was younger and didn't know how to dodge them -  I know how distressing it can be for you and Lily, it's really unpleasant  :'(

PS this is how he flaked out after his very first nettle attack

helen & jarvis x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
glad the bath did the trick lily pup.

Helen how cute does Jarvis look in that photo....sorry as i know he was in discomfort, but what a way to crash out, bless him... :luv:

Offline Lily Pup

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »
She's flaked - Phew  :003:  Just the odd foot twitch inbetween her snores now  :005:  

That was horrible, I hate it when there's nothing you can do but wait  >:(   Think I'll have to do the 1/2  a tab before walkies thing for a while until the nettles get to be big enough for her to avoid, I've gone around the garden today with weed killer and zapped all the ones I can find so at least she'll be ok in there, she's never been this bad before though, she was so distressed  :'(

Horrid thing aren't they - nettles Grrrrrrrrr

Thanks for your quick replies, you start to doubt yourself when you're worried and it's nice to be told I was doing right

xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »

Helen how cute does Jarvis look in that photo....sorry as i know he was in discomfort, but what a way to crash out, bless him... :luv:

:lol2:

He's on my best friend Jo there - I'm sure he thought I was the cause of the stings and went and flaked on her  :luv:

That was horrible, I hate it when there's nothing you can do but wait  >:( 

it is a horrible feeling when they are so distressed and you've done all you can  :-\  I'm glad she's over the worst of it  :luv:

....for goodness sake don't let her drive any heavy machinery while she's under the piriton influence!  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »
Glad she is flaked out, hope its a puppy thing she grows out of.

I dont want to look like im poking my nose in but is the weed killer safe around a pup?  :-\ I know if was Willow at that age she would of eaten it....  :huh:

Offline Lily Pup

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »

:lol2:

He's on my best friend Jo there - I'm sure he thought I was the cause of the stings and went and flaked on her  :luv:

That was horrible, I hate it when there's nothing you can do but wait  >:( 

it is a horrible feeling when they are so distressed and you've done all you can  :-\  I'm glad she's over the worst of it  :luv:

....for goodness sake don't let her drive any heavy machinery while she's under the piriton influence:lol2:

She's still a bit small to see over the steering wheel at the moment  :D  Another month maybe and we'd have been in trouble as she does love to tell you where SHE wants to go  :005: :005: :005: