Author Topic: Sensitive feet ? Maybe  (Read 515 times)

Offline Judith

• Hearts and flowers to my dogs!
Sensitive feet ? Maybe
« on: April 15, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »
I walked my dogs tonight, went into a  farm field which was muddy and had some puddles. The dogs were splodging through the water and my goldie was all dirty as was my cocker puppy Winston. Winston started limping on the way back and holding his back leg up, I had a look when we were out but couldn't see anything , he was really upset and so I carried him home. I hosed their legs when we got back home as I though he water might be irritated him and so hosed both dogs legs and feet.
My goldie has been fine, sleepy after a run around in the field but Winston has been VERY unsettled all night. I bathed him as he w as rubbing himself along the c arpet over and over he was whining and crying and also biting the fur on his feet the bit In between his toe pads. It was nearly 3 hours ago and another bath later and running his feet under the running tap and he has finally settled. I was really worried !
Do to think he has been irritated by the water in the puddles? Maybe oily or something standing in the water? Or a bramble scratched him but no blood? I can't think what was unsettling him for so long when my other dog has been fine. Any tips of what it could have been? One thing though, we won't be walking that way again!
P.S. sorry if any spelling mistakes as I am typin on my phone and hard to see everything I have typed and the predict text isnt always right

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
Re: Sensitive feet ? Maybe
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:42:20 PM »
Could he have run through some young nettles?  :-\

There are alot around at the moment and are certainly causing Fizz and Amber (who are forever crashing through the undergrowth) some problems. They scrabble at the floor with their feet, or chew them if they've been stung.

You could try giving him Piriton, or bathing / standing his feet in cool water mixed with a small amount of bicarbonate of soda.

Hope this helps. :bigarmhug:
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Judith

• Hearts and flowers to my dogs!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
Thanks loads for this I bet it's what it was as he was running on the undergrowth and jasper my older dog will have much tougher pads , I never thought of that. I bet it's what it was as it was like he was irritated rather than hurt , a relief , thanks

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
Have you looked for compacted mud etc between his pads. Cass gets this sometimes so I stand her in warm water and splodge her paws about or have to resort to cutting them out