Author Topic: Cost of Dental work??  (Read 1188 times)

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
Cost of Dental work??
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »
Hi All, I am interested to hear how much dental work has cost you if your dog has needed it. Our 12 year old Basil needs quite a lot of dental work. Some teeth need removing, tartar needs removing, general clean, x-rays (possibly) and a full blood profile due to his age. In addition, he is to have antibiotics starting 3 days before the work. The vet has quoted £300-£400 which seems a lot of money to me  ph34r Is it a lot or is that pretty average? He won't be having the work til late August as he has had to have his booster vaccinations including kennel cough (our pet boarders insist on it but they are so good) and some treatment for his ears and she wants him to be fully over that first.

Thanks, Jacqui

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Cost of Dental work??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »
My 10yo bitch, Emily, has just had 2 teeth removed + x-rays. Cost = £461.  So your vet's estimate sounds about right. Waiting to see whether insurance will pay anything.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
The price quoted seems about right. Rosie had a tooth removed last year and they cleaned them whilst she was under and it cost £269 without xrays and the blood test was £40 on top. She had also had a course of ABs costing £30 the week before as the tooth was fractured and we were going on holiday. Fortunately we were covered by insurance as it was classed as accidental rather than something preventable.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline john51

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »
Looks about right to me as the work will obviously have to be done under general anaesthetic and that will take a large chunk of money before they start on the teeth. When our older dog was anaesthetised, the vet recommended intravenous fluids before and during the operation (at a small extra cost!) and he bounced out of the surgery after the operation. It is apparently the "gold standard" for anaesthesia in older dogs and may well be included in your estimate. If not, may be worth talking to the vet.

Hope it goes well.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline cran477

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:01 PM »
does insurance cover dental work, my girl has a wonky tooth i hope it wont lead to dental problems in years to come

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:41 AM »
does insurance cover dental work, my girl has a wonky tooth i hope it wont lead to dental problems in years to come

Funnily enough, the vet said to me that the only insurance that she is aware of that pays out for dental problems is PetPlan. We had Basil on the Kennel Club Policy and never changed after he had some minor problems with his ears as we knew they would be excluded with another company. We didn't want to take that risk in case he got bigger problems later on.

It's good to know that people think this is a fair price to pay too  :D

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011