Author Topic: Allergy tablets (again)  (Read 1003 times)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Allergy tablets (again)
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
I’m just wondering can I just buy Piriton drowsy off the shelf (i.e. human ones) or do I need to get some dog ones from the vet?

Also, if I need to give Charlie one, do I just give him one tablet?  (he’s 13.5kg if it makes a difference).

I’m not anticipating needing them (on hols next week) but I’m getting them in – JUST in case.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline john51

Re: Allergy tablets (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Piriton is Piriton so what you buy off the shelf is fine as long as you know what dose you want to give. I walk occasionally with a golden labrador that takes 8 Piriton tablets a day for atopic dermatitis and those are tablets for humans bought off the internet. I don't know about dose but here's a link to to a previous thread.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=46070.msg652796;topicseen#msg652796

Or no doubt someone will give you a specific answer shortly.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
Piriton is Piriton so what you buy off the shelf is fine as long as you know what dose you want to give. I walk occasionally with a golden labrador that takes 8 Piriton tablets a day for atopic dermatitis and those are tablets for humans bought off the internet. I don't know about dose but here's a link to to a previous thread.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=46070.msg652796;topicseen#msg652796

Or no doubt someone will give you a specific answer shortly.

That thread was useful thank you. I can buy piriton tonight and sort the dosage out before we go.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »
I’m just wondering can I just buy Piriton drowsy off the shelf (i.e. human ones) or do I need to get some dog ones from the vet?

Also, if I need to give Charlie one, do I just give him one tablet?  (he’s 13.5kg if it makes a difference).

I’m not anticipating needing them (on hols next week) but I’m getting them in – JUST in case.

Alfie is on 3 Piriton daily as he has skin allergies from pollen. The vet told me they were the same as the Piriton for humans but dogs must not be given the non-drowsy ones as they contain an ingredient not tolerated by dogs. Alfie is on normal Piriton long term and they don't make him drowsy

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »

[/quote]

Alfie is on 3 Piriton daily has skin allergies from pollen. The vet told me they were the same as the Piriton for humans but dogs must not be given the non-drowsy ones as they contain an ingredient not tolerated by dogs. Alfie is on normal Piriton long term and they don't make him drowsy
[/quote]

We have been told same thing. not sure on dose but 1 tablets usually fine for a fully grown border collie. Again a long term user.

Have a good Holiday  :D
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
that is great thank you :)