Author Topic: When is a cocker fully grown?  (Read 24787 times)

Offline Sarafina

Re: When is a cocker fully grown?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
Ok, that might be it. I thought 8,5 seems small when the breed standard is about 12-15 kilos. Mine is smaller than many Cavaliers. But of course, cockers come in all sizes :)

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »
Teun is almost 11 months and 12,5 kg.

Cockers aren't fully grown until they are about 2, years old. They stop growing around 10 months but then they still have to get there grown up posture. That takes longer.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »
My puppy is still 8,5 kilos and now 9 months old.
She has'nt actually grown anything since she was about 5 months old. What do you think - does this mean she has reached her full size already?
I just thought it seems a little early, as others say they are fully grown at about 1 years old, or 1 1/2... ?

Indie was 8.5 kilos upto a year old, she grew slightly taller just past a year and is now still only 10kgs and shes nearly 3, whereas Quinn who is 13 weeks old was 6 kilos last week.   Sounds just like you've got a petite girlie like mine.   :luv:

Offline Sarafina

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
My puppy is still 8,5 kilos and now 9 months old.
She has'nt actually grown anything since she was about 5 months old. What do you think - does this mean she has reached her full size already?
I just thought it seems a little early, as others say they are fully grown at about 1 years old, or 1 1/2... ?

Indie was 8.5 kilos upto a year old, she grew slightly taller just past a year and is now still only 10kgs and shes nearly 3, whereas Quinn who is 13 weeks old was 6 kilos last week.   Sounds just like you've got a petite girlie like mine.   :luv:

Thanks for your answers, Marina and Jeanette!
Thats right, mine is Petite. What do you mean about the grown-up posture? Just the way that they stand?

The mother of my cocker is also pretty small, but still quite a lot bigger than mine, while the father is medium or big cocker. Thats why I was a little bit surprised that my girl doesnt grow much anymore.

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Today at the vet,
scarlett is 8 months and 10.4 kilos....
Her breeder expects her to stop her development at 12 kilos which will be ideal for a female show girl...
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
Posie is 4 months old and was weighed this week at 7kg. She is slender, with a definite waist and her ribs are easy to feel but not visible. the vet seems very happy with her.

I noticed that few (if any) people mentioned whether their Cocker was working or show. Posie is a worker and comparing her at 8 weeks to the show Cocker that was in the vet yesterday, I would say the show dog was definitely chunkier looking.

Posie hasn't had puppy fat since she was a few weeks old. She's getting tall and long though.

Offline Sarafina

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
I noticed that few (if any) people mentioned whether their Cocker was working or show. Posie is a worker and comparing her at 8 weeks to the show Cocker that was in the vet yesterday, I would say the show dog was definitely chunkier looking.

That is very true. Mine is a show cocker. She used to be pretty chubby, but now she is not chubby anymore. But she is not very tall, and has a small built body I think.

Have any of you noticed that your dog stopped growing for a long while, then grew more later after 8 months? (Sinde they grow at different spurs. Maybe mine will start growing again, even if she stopped growing when she was 5 months).

Offline Sarafina

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »
Today at the vet,
Her breeder expects her to stop her development at 12 kilos which will be ideal for a female show girl...

Scarlett is very pretty!  :luv:
Is there many cocker spaniels in Greece, are they popular there? Here in Norway there is quite a few, but it is not one of the most common breeds (that must be Scha¨fer, vorsteher, labrador and Golden retriever.)
This was a bit on the side I know, but just wondering :)

Offline Scarlett

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »
Today at the vet,

Scarlett is very pretty!  :luv:
Is there many cocker spaniels in Greece, are they popular there? Here in Norway there is quite a few, but it is not one of the most common breeds (that must be Scha¨fer, vorsteher, labrador and Golden retriever.)
This was a bit on the side I know, but just wondering :)
thanks Sarafina!
We have many and mostly golden color...but not from breeders:(
we only have 2-3 cocker breeders in Greece...
Comon breeds, labradors, poodles, maltese, golden, german sheperds...

Offline Shell

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 12:09:28 AM »
I know that cockers come in all sizes , and our two are both from 'large stock' so we expect them to be on the heavier end of the scale around 17/18 kg but notwithstanding that I have decided that Gracie is a little too pudgy for her age!

She just turned 6 months old anyway and weighed in at 15kg a day or two ago, so we've decided to take her off the puppy food and put her on an adult formula and reduce the quantity that she gets also.  + I'm walking her 2 times a day instead of just once.

I really don't want her to have weight problems - Our 8 year old Bailey is on Eukanuba weight loss formula because he stacked on 3 kg recently - he was always 'free fed' but we think he started stress eating when we bought the little one home :)

Hopefully they will both be back to a more reasonable weight range in the next few months :)

Offline Scarlett

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 07:48:56 AM »
Do finally cockers come in different sizes?
What about the breed standards? I know they vary a bit...but not too much I think...
I'm talking about show or breed quality dogs of course...not pet quality....
What do the judges say during judging in a show...Don't they check their size?