Author Topic: Anal glands problem not even two years old yet  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Anal glands problem not even two years old yet
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:53 AM »
Pearl had no problems until around 18 months old, then persistent anal gland infections that resulted in them being removed, very successfully.  There is a thread on here about it.

Pearl has always had very small, hard stools even when fed kibble.  She's been on raw food for the best part of 5 years now and although it helped with the gland issue it was never going to cure her problem.  Following removal, the Vet told me they were 3 x expected size! 

Diet can help and certainly a raw carrot each day plus bran sprinkled on each meal helped a little.

Hope it's a passing phase for Charlie

Offline Dzr

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
Loubeelou had problems and was scooting and crying and in the end got them expressed twice in a week given she was still crying while scooting. Anyway, I changed her food and she has been fine ever since moved to Pure Pet Food - duck delight. I actually bought the turkey version to try and she's started scooting again, so it's definitely an allergy thing.
Here's a picture of her just before, it's as if she knows what's going to happen to her bottom

Offline Jillsn

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
Poppy often needs her anal glands emptied - one gets more compacted than the other. There is a product called 'protexin fibre' which you can add to their food, although I suspect bran works just as well. I've changed her food to the Platinum range and her stools seem to be much firmer. Early days yet but so far so good.