Author Topic: Branston, what's up  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Branston, what's up
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
Ah thanks Julie, well nothing physical wrong and he was an absolute good boy in the vets, sat there with a little poodle while we waited to go in and no probs whatsoever. Didn't even react to the cat meowing in a catbox  :shades:

The vet said it is likely behavioural but that didn't mean he was bad, or trying it on, more confused about things atm. As it is also happening outside - but only when on lead he said Branston is worried about other dogs who he perceives as  a threat He is going to get one of the behavourists at the vets to assess our whole situation and go from there..

He didn't think he was having seizures which would involve trembling/shaking etc after any attack. phew

I have decided that I will take the dogs out in the car to a place I can let them off lead for the time being it will also prevent confrontations with cats that we meet on our walks - which stresses us all out.

ahem!  :doh: he also said he could do with losing a little weight as their is no obvious waist - he said it is not too bad atm but don't let him get  heavier and cut back his food a little to prevent problems in the future.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »
Murphy went through a spell where he would have a go at another dog for no apparent reason. For at least the last 6 months I have been taking him to a field where there are very few other dogs, and even if there are other dogs, it is a very big field and easy to avoid.
Lately I have been slowly introducing him to other dogs and he has been a model citizen, running around and playing like he used to do.
I am still on high alert for German Shepherds as I know that for some reason he is terrified of those but overall I am beginning to relax a bit now when he meets other dogs and I'm sure that is helping too.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »
They are such complex little souls, aren't they? it's hard to know what to do for the best sometimes. Pleased that Murphy looks like he has turned a corner
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
Phew what a relief, think the walking in a quiet place is a good idea and of course the behaviourist

While I walk round the block so to speak, I actually drive about  a mile away to a quiet road by a church, it is not isolated but never see dog walkers, for me the confrontation with Ollie when OH is not around is difficult, firstly my little man see himself as my personal guard.  He is a good boy in familiar situations and the horse in the field by the lane actually walks along with us, it's like he see us and ambles down and walks along.

I stopped taking him on the beach (not that I can till end Sept) without OH, had one or two close calls with folk letting there dogs run madly towards us.

Hope Branston gets back to normal and that you are happy with new vets.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 09:19:56 PM »
One thing that I did come to realise is that every incident Murphy had was very close to our house. Either on our local field or on the way there.
Whenever we go further afield, say to my sister in laws caravan where there are usually loads of dogs, Murphy has been fine. I don't know if it is relevant or not but worth a mention.