Author Topic: Sneezing and under the weather - any ideas?  (Read 321 times)

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
  • Merry has a hoard of stolen treasure in his bed!
Sneezing and under the weather - any ideas?
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
For the past week poor Merry has been under the weather.
It started last weekend when he vomited a few time in the night for a couple of nights in a row. We weren't too concerned initially as he had been chewing a hoof and sometimes brings up little bits later that won't quite go down properly.
Then he started sneezing and had a runny nose, but as he was still bouncy and still interested in normal stuff like everybody elses food and barking at the postman, we assumed it was a bug that would go by itself.
But yesterday and today he seems a lot more grotty. He just seems to want to sleep all the time, not really interested in going outside, is a bit shivery and not too interested in food. He will only pick out the choice morsels and leave the rest.
We took him to the vets yesterday but she wasn't sure what it could be as his symptoms don't fit anything completely. She said he had a bit of a raised temperature but other than that heart, lungs, breathing, gums all normal. She prescribed antibiotics and a painkiller but they haven't made any difference as yet.

I'm just not sure what it could be and what else to for him. I've been giving him a spoonful of manuka honey twice a day, have tried a few bowls of chicken stock to keep is fluids up but he wasn't too interested. Other than that I'm at a loss  :huh:

Does anybody have any ideas?
Emma and Merry the Pirate x

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
  • Merry has a hoard of stolen treasure in his bed!
Re: Sneezing and under the weather - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
Forgot to say - all of us hoomans have had a nasty cold bug. Could he have caught it?  :huh:

The other thing that has thrown us and the vet is that he doesn't have a cough or any discharge from his eyes, both of which seem to be symtoms of all the possible coldy virus things i've read about  :-\
Emma and Merry the Pirate x