Author Topic: Grooming..........  (Read 870 times)

Offline ajwb

Grooming..........
« on: May 31, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Hello everyone

Bruno is now 5 1/2 months and wanted to know any recommendations on grooming - would you go to a grooming parlour or diy?

Thanks for reading this.

Alison and Bruno

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: Grooming..........
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
Big question! It depends a lot on your own level of expertise, patience, confidence, willingness to learn and tolerance of your mistakes  ;) Personally I don't have the confidence to trim Morgan myself although I tidy up his feet between proper grooming visits and I try to hand -strip his head.

A lot depends on what sort of look you're after. There are sometimes sad tales on here from cocker owners who were not at all happy with what grooming parlours had done to their dogs. Not enough groomers seem to be particularly skilled at cocker trimming and dogs can end up being shorn all over because it's easier for the groomer that way. Of course you can also strike lucky and find a groomer who will do a super job for you.

Are there other cocker owners near you? if so, do you like the way their dogs are done? Ask where they go.

I didn't want Morgan clipped and I've been very lucky and take Morgan to a CoL member who shows her dogs so she knows exactly what's best for Morgan (I don't show him but I like a reasonably showy look for him) She's brilliant with him, he always looks good and it means I haven't had to learn how to do it myself!   ;)

Your Bruno is a bit young for proper trimming just yet  as he'll still have his puppy coat, you don't want to be in a rush to do much to him at the moment. At that age I was just starting to be able to do a bit of stripping on Morgan's head but his feet were like floor mops and I took him to a grooming parlour just to get his feet and nails done.

"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline ajwb

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
cool thanks for the in depth response on this! I will certainly take note of and let you know how it pans out
  :D

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
I decided from the start to take Mason to a groomer - luckily there is one in my village who has cockers and her trust her completely.  I first took Mason when he was only 5 months old.  He only went for a bath, brush and he had his feet trimmed but I felt it was important for him to get used to going at an early age.  If you are considering a groomer then I would introduce Bruno sooner rather than later. 
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
both responses are excellent advice, the earlier you get them used to being groomed the better.  Do you have a slicker brush and a good comb ? ... as if you get them used to that while they are small, its very usefull, another good thing is to get them used to the sound of scissors, you dont have to cut the hair, but just pretend and work the scissors as normal so they get used to the noise, same goes for the hairdryer etc

Phil

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »
Depends also if you want to show - I would have loved Misha to have a traditional coat, but after she was spayed she became very wooly and I had to admit defeat and have her clipped, which I now do myself.  My first trip to the groomers was a disaster and despite me saying that I didn't want her clipped they did it anyway - so be very specific as to what you want if you do decide to take Bruno to a groomer.

As others have said try to get him used being groomed (makes life so much easier).  Misha, Roly and Lexi are reasonably well behaved when it comes to being brushed (Misha will stand like a statue when being clipped without any restraint).  Ellie my new girl isn't a fan but thankfully she has quite a light coat, all the same I have to be careful so that she doesn't get distressed.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love