Author Topic: Stealing other dog's balls-advice please  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Mabels Mum

• Bella is caught out!
Stealing other dog's balls-advice please
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:14:42 PM »
Hello all!

Once again  I've come back from the park in disgrace.  Bella stole a perfectly behaved Border Collie's ball AGAIN!! He politely dropped his ball to say 'hello' to Bella, she swiped the ball & raced around him showing it to him.  He wouldn't leave the park without his ball, his owner had to ring her husband to explain why a quick trip to the park was taking so long. I was apologising & Bella (who usually has an impressive recall) was racing around with this ball in her mouth ph34r

She does this every time she sees them.  If I 'do' ignoring her & turn my back & walk away she will lie, just out of reach in front of me tearing chunks out of the ball.  Of course she gets so close that I just miss her when I grab her.

So, ignoring her doesn't work.  Obviously chasing her is only going to make the game even more fun - so I don't do that. Thowing treats at her & making a huge fuss of the ball's doggy owner, including making a big deal of giving them Bell's treats don't work. I've tried going to the park very early in the morning & later in the evening, but it seems that there is always a dog with a ball & Bella usually manages to get hold of it.

I'm thinking maybe a muzzle.... :005:

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
Re: Stealing other dog's balls-advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
Do you take one of her balls with you to the park?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »
I'll watch this thread with interest. I have exactly the same problem - plus there is always the chance of Archie getting aggressive and guarding the prize. I've tried taking his own ball or two, in order to train him to give one up and swap for the other. It didn't work. He just picked one (never the same one) to guard and ran circles around me thinking he was having the most fun ever! In the house he will fetch in return for a treat but out and about NOTHING will persuade him to give up a stolen ball. My strategy is sadly, avoidance. I try to avoid areas where people may have them. If i do see one, he goes on the lead straight away. I often have to call people and ask them not to throw a ball until I have him safely on the lead. Some people are great but some just think it's really fun to throw it anyway, saying "I'll get it off him no trouble".  >:D It's a nightmare. I know that I should be able to get him to drop it but some owners seem to think that because I can't, it's my problem to deal with and they aren't going to help me out by delaying their dog's game by 30 secs while I get Archie secure. If I was a regular park walker and ball avoidance was not an option, then I think I would consider a muzzle too.

Offline Mabels Mum

• Bella is caught out!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
Yes Fluff, I've tried taking one of Bella's balls with us, but she behaved just like Archie - ran around with it & wouldn't come back to me when I called. 

She readily gives up her ball, toys and even stolen foot-related items (shoes, socks etc) without a fuss at home.  It's just when we're out & she has an audience :shades:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:06:56 PM »
Yes Fluff, I've tried taking one of Bella's balls with us, but she behaved just like Archie - ran around with it & wouldn't come back to me when I called. 

She readily gives up her ball, toys and even stolen foot-related items (shoes, socks etc) without a fuss at home.  It's just when we're out & she has an audience :shades:

Sounds like Archie and Bella must be related!  :005:

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
Oh dear! Tbh I never throw Daisy's ball when there are other dogs around precisely for this reason, it inevitably gets stolen and Daisy gets a bit upset when that happens, bless her, and just wanders around looking bereft  :005: I just move away or wait till the other dog has passed - it's a big ask to expect a dog not to chase a ball being flinged.

So if you have her own ball, she won't swap a stolen ball for it if you wave it at her etc? Daisy is very ball obsessed but will readily drop a ball if you produce another one for her to have (although sometimes she tries to carry two at once  :005: ) How about throwing another ball for her to chase, would she do that and drop the stolen one?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »
With Archie, producing another ball actually makes things worse. He knows what I'm trying to do and it makes it clear to him that the ball he has stolen is very high value so he will absolutely not give it up.  >:D It's why I avoid dogs with balls at all costs.  ph34r

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Murphy loves to steel other dogs balls and I think I have made a rod for my own back by playing chase games in the house. Murphy loves to be chased.

Maybe you can carry a spare balls and if Bella refuses to hand over a stolen ball give the ball to the other dogs owner in exchange.

My SIL's springer is a terrible ball thief and is so quick that when I have managed to extract the stolen ball and thrown it back to the owner she can steal it again before the ball is picked up.

Must be a Spaniel thing.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »
Why don't you always just take an extra ball with you to the park and give it to the dog whose ball she's swiped?

Or take an extra one and make a big deal of it till she thinks the new ball is better and she drops the one she's swiped.

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »
The only problem with that is that I have quite expensive balls for Daisy, and I wouldn't be chuffed about getting a tennis ball back for one of them! We have to order them online (she destroys normal balls) so it would be a slight inconvenience. Having said that, because of this reason I'm careful where I throw her ball (and always carry liver paste, I've found it works wonders in getting her ball back  :005: )

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
The only problem with that is that I have quite expensive balls for Daisy, and I wouldn't be chuffed about getting a tennis ball back for one of them! We have to order them online (she destroys normal balls) so it would be a slight inconvenience. Having said that, because of this reason I'm careful where I throw her ball (and always carry liver paste, I've found it works wonders in getting her ball back  :005: )

Yes, I tried offering a new ball but most owners say their dog is particularly attached and they want THEIR ball back. Understandable.

Offline Alfies Dad

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
I think I have another relative to Bella and Archie. Alfie is the same with stolen balls and even worse with ones he has found, these seem to be much higher value because he has found it rather than being given it. At home and in the garden he will return to hand but out and about no chance. I have tried the 2 toy ploy with some high value treats and it works to a degree he will drop the other toy about 5 yards away but seldom any closer as long as there is something tasty on offer and another toy being offered. He actually seems to get stressed about bringing the toy to me and will drop it and start sniffing and chewing sticks but the moment you move towards the toy he pounces on it and runs off again.

More of a concern is his recall goes when he plays keep away so we have returned to the training lead. Strangely when he is on this with a little persuasion h will retrieve and drop the toy but as soon as he is loose we are back to "get it if you can"

I am  continuing to work on this from 2 angles firstly improved recall and secondly the cheeky attitude / guarding of the prized toy, I have been giving him a toy to carry when he is on the lead to try to over come the reluctance to be close by when he has something in his mouth, hopefully one day it will all come together.............................................maybe!

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
I shall lend you all Jamie. Two dogs recently tried to steal his ball, unsuccessfully and have never tried again  :005: on a more serious note please please all of you be careful! Dogs like my Jamie wont stand having there balls stolen and could seriously harm your dogs :( not an outcome that either owner will want.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline SueD

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
I had lots of problems with Toby stealing other dog's balls. There was no way he would come back to me if he found or 'borrowed' one from another dog. I ended up getting a long training line, its about 15ft and really light weight. I put it on him in the park, don't hold the other end and let him get on with his run. If he steals a ball (or tries to eat something he shouldn't!) I can just stand on the end without having to go to close to him, and reel him in. I know it's not really addressing the original problem but it does mean you can get dog and ball back quickly without a drama or having to chase them around!!!

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
I was talking to the owner of a worker on the field today who was throwing balls for her dog. Along came a big lurcher and made off with one of the balls. The owner shouted 'don't worry, I will get it back' Half an hour later the Lurcher still had the ball and I think the owner was losing the will to live.

It's not just cockers :005: