Author Topic: jumping up  (Read 6017 times)

Offline westergate55

jumping up
« on: June 12, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »
we adopted our cocker 3 weeks ago from a private ad she is lovely and got on with our lab straight away one problem is if we sit on the sofa she runs at great speed around the room and then jumps on our lap she stands across our lap and lands very heavily on us we have bruises from this but we don't know how to stop her doing it she has a crate which we put her in for short times but she has run of house and garden unfortunately she came in season 5 days after we got her so can not go out we have a local secure dog field we can hire and she is now on day 20 of season is it safe to take her out at 21 days of season

Offline Digger

Re: jumping up
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:11 AM »
Hi there

We're not much use re the jumping up thing as our cocker is allowed on the sofa for cuddles. We do find ours is more prone to the 'zoomies' when she is wet though, so we do dry her thoroughly after a wet walk.

Regarding the season thing- just wanted to say, we don't keep ours under house arrest at all during this time. We bought a really comfy soft harness (doodlebone) and a long line.
At the first sign of bleeding, she wears this combo on walks. It means that she can still get out and about and when you can see noones about, you can drop the line so she can have a run about with a ball etc.
It's the latter part of the season that's the most dangerous because the female is also interested ( you'll know because she may stand for other dogs, bum In the air, tail to one side!) So during the latter part we keep hold of the other end of the line at all times. Week/ten days?
The reality of it is that half the dogs you might meet are female. Of the remaining males, half of them are castrated, and half of those aren't interested, so the final number of dogs you might meet that pose an actual risk is very small and your dog is on a line anyway.

We have done this for two seasons so far and found it to be perfectly manageable.

Hope that helps.  ;)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:02:12 AM »
Quote from: Digger so the final number of dogs you might meet that pose an actual risk is very small and your dog is on a line anyway.

Hope that helps.  ;)
[/quote
[/color]

....and you‘ll recognize those a mile off because the walkers have one arm longer than the other and a will probably be a little red in the face!!   :lol2:

Offline westergate55

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
we don't mind her sitting on the sofa just want her not jumping all over us it is painfull I have a lab bitch who is 6 she is not spayed and we have always kept her in for the time of season I don't think it is fair on male dogs who would want to get to a bitch also meant to say we have a dining table in living room and if we sit there the dog sleeps on the sofa

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:39:47 PM »
Could you/ have you taught a "wait" command?
Ours are only invited up when they have sat looking lovingly  :005: at us then we say ok to them.  Then you could work on positioning her by you instead of walking all over you.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline westergate55

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »
will try the wait but she is so fast will try it she does learn fast so hope it works

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
You would have to train it somewhere else to start with. Maybe her bed, say wait, walk one step then go back and reward, repeat a couple of times then release by calling her to you..  Build up slowly, literally a step at a time if she's that fast! Good luck!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline westergate55

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:21:24 PM »
that sounds a good idea she came from a bad place we did not get the chance to ask any info when we got her they just gave us her and took the money poor girl has nearly every tooth that is rotten she was kept in a shed lots so we understand why she wants to be touching us all the time now her season is ending she can have her teeth done she is responding to recall with a whistle

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
3 weeks is nothing given what you say about her start in life.  She will be overwhelmed with all the new experiences she is now having.  Our girl had a difficult start and we knew she would take a bit of time to settle.  Gentle guidance, reward based training and structure worked really well for us.  Daisy still has her issues, but she is happy and settled, and we know what sets her off and work round it.  Well done on giving this little one a fresh start, ask as many questions as you need on here.  There are lots of experienced people, and there is no such thing as a silly question.  If it is bothering you, tell us. 

Offline westergate55

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 08:32:24 AM »
thank you she is doing really well settled straight away with our lab I am glad I found this group I have had springers before but  Jenna is more full of beans than they were but she can go out very soon so that will help think having another dog has made her settle in well when she's had her teeth done she will be spayed vet thinks she has been bred from

Offline Digger

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »
..We haven't experienced the red face  person with one arm longer than the other hahaha!! Maybe we have been lucky. Just to clarify though, I wouldn't want to inconvenience other dog owners if that was the case. The long line does give you the option to ask ahead if a male is entire then go another way if need be.
We have multiple options where we live so that probably helps a lot.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »
thank you she is doing really well settled straight away with our lab I am glad I found this group I have had springers before but  Jenna is more full of beans than they were but she can go out very soon so that will help think having another dog has made her settle in well when she's had her teeth done she will be spayed vet thinks she has been bred from
Having an existing dog will be a huge help, she will learn from them quicker than she will from you (no offence meant).   Not being able to get out properly will mean all that energy and stimulation is bubbling up inside her, she will be like a toddler that has had too many sweeties  :005:  Cockers are like no other breed, they are very much their own person, she must be such a contrast to your lab!

Offline westergate55

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »
I have booked her in for her teeth to be done Monday as soon as she's over that walkies here we come have been trying recall in garden with a whistle she was good at that very fast learner

Offline westergate55

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 06:21:48 PM »
e j p she is very different to any other dog I had before  the main thing is still jumping all over us if we sit down I don't pet her or talk just move her to sit next to me but she constantly moves until she is on my lap I love cuddling her but can't do it all the time if I try using treats I have to shut my other dog in another room and she is not happy we are home all day and milly the lab is used to all our attention

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »
Cockers could easily cope with being cuddled all day  :lol2: they are such sooky dogs!  Enjoy walkies,  Looking forward to hearing how that goes.