Author Topic: jumping up  (Read 6004 times)

Offline PaulJ

Re: jumping up
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 07:40:31 AM »
An alternative to “wait” is “sit”. We consider sit the same as wait. It is the position pup goes to before either given something fun to do or being released to do what he wants which is inevitably something fun in his  eyes.

We use sit and a release phrase for all manner of situations. Food, doors, crate exit, play etc Pup knows that if he sits something good is about to happen.

You could trying sitting her before releasing her to go on the sofa. If sit and release is used for other situations too it should sink in well.

We use “that’ll do” as our release phrase  with a hand gesture towards what is fun.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »

We use “that’ll do” as our release phrase  with a hand gesture towards what is fun.

👍 good idea! My biggest mistake was using „OK“ -!! Its amazing how often we say it in a conversation, while floppy ears are on the alert just waiting for the magic „release“ signal!!  :doh:

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 01:13:43 PM »
Yeah, I bet.

We were recommended the phrase by a local spaniel guru as it would rarely be used in conversation. We have to be very careful about using “hurry up” in conversation now  :005:

Offline westergate55

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 07:50:02 PM »
walks are going well she trots along on her extending lead not so good indoors trying to get her to sit also wait she runs around with no idea of sit or wait takes no notice of stay we will have to keep trying she is loving playing ball she will bring it to me to throw again will keep trying with the sit stay and wait thanks for all the replies

Offline westergate55

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
pleased to say that our lovely cocker is making good progress now she will get on the sofa but is lots better at not jumping all over us but she still gets lots of cuddles she has learnt that the whistle means really high value treats chicken and I can get her to sit and put a treat on the floor and get her to wait for me to say ok I was getting worried that I was not going to be good enough for her needs but much better now will keep in touch on here thanks to everyone who replied

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
That is great news, you both need to learn what makes the other one tick, and things seem to be settling down now.  Ideal and well done.

Offline westergate55

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
thank you l

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 09:33:49 PM »
Great stuff. It’s gentle steps each day. Routine and consistency works well for us. it irons most things over time.

Dogs learn real quick , their choices are often binary. Is what you want me to do more fun that what I want to do. A cocker may say “No!” Though  ;)

Offline westergate55

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »
hi all I am so happy have been using a 2 acre secure field for recall today my daughter came with me and we took both dogs to the woods I had cooked sausages and a whistle well let my cocker off lead first time in open area she was so good came back to the whistle every time walked past other dogs no problem really well behaved stayed with my other dog and looked for us

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
awwwww, brilliant. That is great news, so pleased your hard work and patience has been rewarded.    So pleased for you.

Offline westergate55

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »
thank you it means she can have much better exercise running around off lead

Offline westergate55

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »
hi I have just taken both dogs on holiday to a farm that has sheep cows and horses our dogs took no notice of the animals our lab has been going there for 5 years was bit worried about letting Jenna off lead but we did try her and she took no notice of any animals we do make sure that dogs don't get in the fields and I am just so happy at how well behaved Jenna is she looks for milly and stays close

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
That is brilliant, your heart must have been in your mouth when you unclipped the lead, I know I would have been panicking!  They have settled so well together, lovely to hear.

Offline westergate55

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »
yes she was so good she has just raided the bin and I got a large wad of kitchen roll out of her mouth we had lots of people round today and she was lucky I caught her with it in time she is such a sweet dog everyone says how beautiful she is love her so much

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »
Well, none of us are perfect, I have been known to raid the biscuit tin on occasion...  ph34r