Author Topic: Behaviour rollercoaster  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Digger

Behaviour rollercoaster
« on: July 07, 2019, 01:34:42 PM »
Sitting here watching my little black pooch snoozing on the chair, I can't believe we are now in a place of calm.
Today is Inca's birthday and she is two. No longer a puppy, or so they say!

What a journey it's been.

We've had the bitiest pup in the world, eating everything, snappy arguing, digging the furniture, zoomies, jumping up, chasing the cat, and latterly even being grumpy with other dogs ( we've now realised that is season related mainly with the odd guarding of her ball or just not appreciatingthose dogs with no manners that just come hammering up and jump on top of her- in which case I think she's justified in telling them off).

Yesterday we were in the country park and there was a school trip. 3 children asked if they could stroke the dog. I had no hesitation in saying yes. Then the other 12 arrived.
I had to smile as I watched our little dog wiggling and wagging as all the children touched every part of her, and then she rolled over for a mass belly rub.  After this we went home and she sat while our two year old granddaughter brushed her.

I think she's ok.  Happy birthday Incaxxx

(Unless you're a pheasant... :shades:)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Behaviour rollercoaster
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »
 :birthday: :banana: :clapping: :birthday:

Hope you enjoy the rest of your very special day.

Bea started to settle around two years old, she can still have her moments but I doubt we would change our girls for the world  :D

Offline Digger

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »
Ahh thank you!

You tell people it's your dogs birthday and they look at you like you're mad!
 But we love her actually. So there. :luv:

And yes I totally agree- I would be bereft without her now. She is like my left arm.

..In fact, she might as well have my left arm for what's left of it after all that pulling!

An old guy once said to me that they are puppies til they're two so don't expect too much. I think that was good advice, and although she's not perfect she is improving all the time.

Onwards and upwards and plenty of shameless dog slushiness allowed thanks to Cockers on line!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
 :luv: Ahhhh that‘s lovely  to hear!
Happy Birthday Inca, hope you‘re have a loverrrrrly day!!
  :bigarmhug: from me and tail wags from Humph‘ x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »
 :birthday: Inca hope you have lots of pressies and hugs  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 05:47:58 PM »
Happy Birthday Inca, you have made the lives so many people richer with your bum wiggling greetings and your cuddles and kisses.   :luv:  Of course your birthday is important how else would you get extra treats and a special dinner!  ;) :lol2:

Offline Digger

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 06:11:24 PM »
Awww thanks all-and yes- the bum wiggly little tail wagging dog snuggling up to you does melt many a heart and spreads a bit of happiness around for sure!
World leaders should take note! :lol2:
...There are about a thousand joke opportunities in there somewhere!!!

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »
happy birthday Inca,  hope  you had a lovely birthday :birthday:

Digger, your post which included:

We've had the bitiest pup in the world, eating everything, snappy arguing, digging the furniture, zoomies, jumping up

this post gives me heart, as you could be describing my one year old 'ooligan', Cinders, but  despite all this, they are still the best medicine in the world for making you laugh, smile and cry , sometimes all at the same time ;)

Offline Digger

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »
Oh yes, daydreams. Inca was truly awful- nothing like our first dog who did everything as youd expect.
We couldn't really do anything with her in the first year- as soon as you tried to do any training she'd just go all crazy and bitey! It was all about just managing her variety of hideous behaviours, and a million time outs in the hall way!
..but gradually (and I have to say she was at least 18 months) the biting decreased and everything got a bit better.
She still has the odd moment and sometimes she has a naughty day- you can just see it in her face, but generally she's pretty good.
It will get better and like Ben's mum on here said to me  (when I was tearing my hair out).. the ones that are more difficult require more of you and so you end up with a stronger bond. Very true I think. Inca and me are inseparable. I'm the one with separation anxiety! Hahaha
Thank you for your birthday greetings and best of luck with your little horror-  it'll be fine in a little while! Xxx

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
Happy birthday inca!!!!!!

Isnt the feeling of reflection amazing! I quite often sit watching Leo snoozing and think 'christ if only you knew how much hell you put us through' but it makes it all worth it.

Digger well done for persevering because its clearly paid off!!!

Offline Digger

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
Yup.

I think from reading the VERY MANY posts on here about problem behaviour, the cocker owner is also a breed unto itself.
 Those  of us that stick with the difficult ones either have, or develop nerves of steel!!

I know you are one!!
 Thanks for the greeting- we will get Leo and Inca together for a walkies one of these days :luv: :lol: xx

Offline westergate55

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »
happy birthday

Offline westergate55

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
hi I have had my cocker for just over2 months I am on here in behaviour and training talking about jumping up I hope you are getting on ok with your dog ours is 6 and has settled in well she was not looked after before she came in season 5days after we got her so did not get out for 3 weeks now she has great recall and loves us and our lability know how hard work it is but so worth it best wishes this site is great for help or just goalkeeper to someone

Offline westergate55

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 08:44:32 PM »
just seen the last part of my message don't know where that last bit came from iPad writes what it likes

Offline Digger

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
Haha! I know-predictive text drives you mad.

I'm sure your dog will settle in just fine. We've just been on holiday and ours was good as gold (other than telling a few dogs off). She used to jump up all the time but only does it occasionally now. If she looks like she's going to do it we just say 'paws on the floor' and that stops it! It's funny though because she will now tell off other dogs that jump up on me- like she never did it herself!!

She definitely has a bit of a guarding thing but not with people. Our granddaughter can go up and take a ball out of her mouth and she'll let her- children more so than adults as well which is nice- she was playing really nicely with strangers children on the beach which is good to know.
Best of luck with your new addition- hope she brings you lots of joy!