Author Topic: Hysterical spaniel  (Read 1924 times)

Offline rubyduby

Hysterical spaniel
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:37:57 PM »
Amber is now nearly 8 mths old but she is terrible to leave (albeit with my older dog) if I nip out just to the garage, or even to the loo..  she greets me like I have been away for months, and really yodels and barks. She has been like this since we got her at 9 weeks, she gets positively hysterical if she thinks she is alone and seems to almost panic, and gets really hyper, doesn't seem any different if I leave her for a short or long time I still get a massive welcome , just wondering the best way of combatting this...

Offline Barry H

Re: Hysterical spaniel
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »
Separation anxiety is usually trained out by leaving pooch for short periods initially and then gradually increasing the time left alone.  Like most training, some will 'get it' quicker than others.  Also, no fussing from you when leaving will reinforce that your going out/coming back is just normal.

I use the word 'Shopping' when going out (whether shopping or not!).  Didn't take long for Jack to get the message.

Don't succumb to the forlorn Cocker look (it will get you every time).  You just need to be strong!

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »
Yes I use the word shopping to , for anytime I go out and I think not reacting to her hyper behaviour on return might help too

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
If you google The Flitting Game Emma Judson you will find loads of the most up to date knowledge around separation anxiety...... what it is and what it isn’t. Toby is just 6 months and we are working through this very slowly. Hope it helps a little 😀