Author Topic: Puppy behavior  (Read 1620 times)

Offline crazymum24

Puppy behavior
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:44:43 PM »
Hi all I have a 8 month old cocker.  When we bought him we took him to puppy training classes which he done really well in.  I am now starting to worry because he has started snapping a lot and snarling.  He tends to do it more when we till him to go to his bed or when he has something in his mouth that he shouldn’t have.  Please can anyone give me any help that can advice me to get home to stop before it’s too late and he has our fingers.  Worried puppy owner :'(

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Puppy behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:22:52 AM »
Hi! At 8 months he is probably trying to test the boundaries a bit but you‘re obviously right to address is early. First and foremost, do try and stay calm, its common to react by getting cross but raised voices or scolding tend to turn it into a conflict situation. When you tell him to go to his bed, does he see his bed as a place he loves to be in or somewhere he has to go to?  (for whatever reason). When he‘s lying in his bed quietly, drop a treat in and praise him when you go past and make sure hes not disturbed by anyone else when he‘s there. Never use his bed as a punishment.
Another problem could be he‘s overtired, although he‘s out of the puppy stage, he still needs plenty of sleep and tiredness can often cause them to be uncooperative. Setting up a routine might help - for instance (e.g. you could try making the evening feed the watershed for no more action, let him just wind down and eventually he‘ll learn that there are playtimes and times when there‘s nothing going on so he might aswell go to bed!  ;))
You can start training him to give up what he has in his mouth by offering him a high value treat as a swap. Start training this when he‘s alert and happy though so that he learns that giving up whatever will earn him praise and reward and it becomes a natural thing to do instead of a power struggle. I made the mistake of forcing things out of Humphrey‘s  mouth and its resulted in him hanging onto everything for dear life, so we‘re in the process of retraining this at the moment!  I‘ve also found that confronting him head on makes it worse (staring into their eyes is bad manners in the doggy world and is interpreted as aggression) so looking to the side or even positioning yourself on the side of the dog can help.
I think the key is staying consistent but above all reward good behaviour and totally ignore the bad so that the dog learns there is no advantage to him behaving that way. You could also try distracting him with letting him do something he can do already (sit + praise + reward).
They‘re sensitive little souls and respond much much better to praise than scolding.
, - I‘m no expert and only speak from what I‘ve picked up along the way and what has worked for me but hope that helps!
Best of luck!

Offline Gerryjane

Re: Puppy behavior
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
Totally agree with the post above. Avoid confrontation and make it all fun. Don’t try and force him to give things up .... swap whilst also teaching a DROP. If he takes something that really isn’t a problem or a danger .... our last golden loved paper tissues 😀...... let him have it. The more he thinks it’s a big deal the more precious it becomes. Dogs don’t know the difference between their stuff and your stuff. If it’s accessible it’s just ... stuff 😂