Author Topic: Advice on Cocker Spaniels not wanting to leave the house  (Read 2039 times)

Offline ColletteD

Advice on Cocker Spaniels not wanting to leave the house
« on: August 13, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
Hello!

I'm after a bit of advice with regard to my 18 month old working cocker spaniel, who we re-homed about 6 months ago.

We are in a very lucky position in that my Partner can take the dog to work with him every day, he has his own office and is located in the Carlisle countryside with acres of private land.

For the first few months we had no issue with getting him into the car in a morning and he was always so excited to go. I should mention that the drive there is around 45 minutes, but he is kept in the boot of an insignia with dog bed/blankets/toys etc.

Over the last few months however he has become increasingly difficult to get out the house on a morning, he'll hide underneath the bed when he watches my Partner put on his uniform and he has to be physically carried out to the car.

He regularly goes in the car on a weekend when we take him out to the countryside or to the beach and he is no bother getting in the car - is mega excited and jumps in himself, so we can't work out why he won't go in during the week.

My Partner always leaves the house before me and we aren't sure if it's a case of him not wanting to leave me, although how do you explain to a dog that I'm also leaving for work and if he refuses to go with my Partner he's going to be left home alone!

He is happy as larry once he gets to work, and is fussed on all day by various people, walked throughout the dog and generally just spoilt rotten by everyone up there - so it's not the place he hates.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get him back excited on a morning to go to work - odd request I know but it's so hard forcing him to leave the house when he clearly doesn't want to!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Advice on Cocker Spaniels not wanting to leave the house
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »
Its an interesting one.  Have you tried leaving the house first just so that you can test your theory?

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »
Something must have happened to make him associate unpleasant things with a specific context.

For the record mine jumps straight into my shooting truck but most of the time i have to lift her into the car and i have no idea what happened to make her dislike the car
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »
It may be that he doesn’t like the splitting up of his ‘pack’, but something else to consider may be that he perhaps doesn’t enjoy the interaction with everyone as much as it seems?  Dogs can find it quite stressful.  I don’t know the situation and how much attention he gets at work – but if people are approaching him most of the time (rather than the other way round), it might indicate that he needs a bit of space and peace and quiet.  Maybe some time in the car to rest/ relax.  May not be the case at all, but just a thought.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
Its an interesting one.  Have you tried leaving the house first just so that you can test your theory?

We have a similar issue with Humphrey, he‘s often dug in his heels and refused to go with OH when I stay behind but if I‘m out of the house altogether, he‘ll quite happily go with him. If I go out on my own, OH reports that he always lies in the hall waiting for me to come home.
(I‘m the chief trainer, feeder, groomer and literal „dogs body“  ;) , I think its doggy tactics to keep me sweet!  :005: )