Author Topic: Three accidents indoors in a week!!  (Read 2008 times)

Offline IonaD

Three accidents indoors in a week!!
« on: September 06, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »
Ok...

Looking for some advice and/or help with Bella.

On Monday morning I found a wet patch on the rug in our front room. I thought maybe someone had dropped a drink but on closer inspection I discovered pee. I thought I had cleaned it up as well as I could. I used an enzyme cleaner then vinegar and baking soda.

I assumed the accident had happened as she only had one pee post dinner and she is on a new diet that has a higher water content than her previous food.

This morning I then came into the front room after our morning walk and discovered a small poo on the rug and another pee nearly in exactly the same place as the last one. I’m trying to put this down to the fact that we had a huge storm last night and I had to get up in the middle of the night, turn the lights on and open the front door to switch the power back on and maybe she got confused/lost tract of time/the storm disturbed her.

I’ve taken the rug up because I’m guessing I didn’t do a good enough job of cleaning the previous stain/smell so she went there again.

She is definitely peeing a lot more than ever before on this new diet. It’s always clear and has no signs of blood, nor is it strong or particularly smelly.

She also had her worming tablet yesterday too.

I don’t know if I’m making excuses for what happened or if there is something else happening that I should be more worried about, or maybe I need to be more vigilant and give her more opportunity to go to the loo.

Bella is 2 and a half now and after she nailed the toilet training as a puppy we’ve never had any accidents till this week.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of this in the past that they can offer me some insight into?

As always thanks in advance.x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Three accidents indoors in a week!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
Perhaps if you tell us what the new diet is, co-members will be able to tell if they have had similar experience and if so what happened to their pooches?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
Sorry...She has gone from a diet of dry food to white fish, potatoes and veg.

We are trialing a new diet to see if it will help with her lip fold dermatitis. She has been on it for 6 weeks and  she seems to be thoroughly enjoying it.

Since starting the new diet this week has been the first time we’ve had any accidents.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
The only time Bea dose this is when she has a urine infection so might be worth talking to a vet.

I found that potato caused Bea's lip fold issues, it can be very difficult to pin point the cause but I wish you good luck with it

Offline IonaD

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
The diet seems to have made it better...it’s still there and still looks quite red but it doesn’t seem to be as smelly as before nor has it got infected since we started. I wanted to give it a go before we resorted to surgery.

I’ll nip into the vets tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion!! Now all I need is to collect some wee!!

x

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 02:01:43 PM »
Back from the vets...

She does indeed have an infection. The pH level of her urine was 9 when apparently in dogs it should be around 6 to 7, the vets also found some crystals in her wee too and if left untreated the crystals can form a kind of stone.

Off to the pharmacy we go to collect her various tablet!

Glad I took her so thank you so much for the suggestion!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
Hoping she is a lot better soon.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 04:47:18 PM »
Oh bless her....hope she get's over this soon.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 05:22:03 PM »
Glad she is on  medication and will soon be sorted.

Sharon x