Author Topic: Training to stand  (Read 3026 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Training to stand
« on: September 11, 2019, 04:18:57 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good method for teaching the Stand command and stay standing  please? We need to be able to do it as part of  a certificate we‘re taking in November and I‘m REALLY struggling. I‘ve been doing it from a sitting position, using treats as a lure, but as soon as he‘s grabbed the treat, the bum goes back down. The goal is to get him to do it with a verbal /hand signal command (I‘m trying with palm flat towards him, fingers pointing down) but he just looks at me as if I‘ve completely lost it!  :lol2:.
He‘s normally pretty quick on the uptake but I seem to be floundering him this time! Any tips, recommendations very gratefully received! Thanks

Offline lescef

Re: Training to stand
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:13 PM »
We had to learn how to do this for Rally. It is quite difficult and not a natural stance for a cocker! :D
We were taught to do it the same way, moving the palm of the hand away from their nose. Use your other hand or foot  and put it under their body towards the back legs as you lure them with the treat. As soon as they try to sit use your hand or foot again,  hand signal and verbal cue. Once they're better at it, introduce stay. You will get there just takes time!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:37:03 PM »
Thanks lescef, - reassuring to know I am at least doing it right, looks like I‘m just going to have to pesevere for a bit longer.... :-\

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 06:51:43 AM »
We have found stand is not a cocker position unless it is moving any full speed or hunting  :lol2:

We taught stand by sweeping hand from a low position and simultaneously taking a step back. Pup steps forward, cue praise/treat. When this is solid we dropped the step back using the arm sweep and “STAND”. Then in time just hand signal or verbal. We are now proofing in the wild.

We have only really taught stand for mental stimulation. I f we want pup still, we will want him sat or down. If he is standing...he’s moving!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
We have found stand is not a cocker position unless it is moving any full speed or hunting  :lol2:
I don't think it's a Cocker problem but rather a training 'problem' (like most things).  I've groomed Jack (show type) since he was a pupster and taught him to stand still without any problems other than having the necessary patience...

bizzylizzy: Robert Cabral has a good video on training a stand which you might find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iZb5sPqhGE

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 10:20:27 AM »
Many thanks everyone, I‘ll have a look at the video Barry, its always easier than just reading instructions..
I‘ll try Paul‘s hand Signal too the movement is  possibly easier to for him to define  than just the flat hand.
Thanks!  :D

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
Use your hand signal and lure between fingers if you are using one  ... use a clicker to capture the exact position .... make sure timing is spot on .... then reward. Using a clicker gives you a little more leeway with timing of reward. Don’t name the action STAND until he is doing it perfectly, get the behaviour before naming it.  :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
Use your hand signal and lure between fingers if you are using one  ... use a clicker to capture the exact position .... make sure timing is spot on .... then reward. Using a clicker gives you a little more leeway with timing of reward. Don’t name the action STAND until he is doing it perfectly, get the behaviour before naming it.  :D

Super! Many thanks!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
Hey bizzy Lizzy, might be no help at all but have you trained a 'watch me' command? For a stand I have always taught Leo to 'stand' with a hand command directing from his nose away from him to lure him up, and then quickly into a 'watch me' with my hand quickly directed to my eyes, then we hold a bit of a staring match before I release and treat. I find that without a watch me, Leo just thought 'right! Stand and run!' however with a stand followed quickly by a watch me, he was distracted and ended up just learning to stand and hold for a short while until released. Hope that makes sense..... Might not! Haha

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 08:25:34 PM »
Absolutely makes sense! Thankyou, will give if a try!  :D

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »
Phew I was going to ask a similar question so will go away to look at tips.
So my 11 month old sit/down/wait/stay/fetch/leave /sometimes sit from afar etc training hand signals on going but is trainable. "BUT " stand WAS in progress?  :huh:I started ring craft in September to learn about showing but we are the worse for stand / stacking. My pup thinks he has gone clubbing! This week I decided to knock it on head he was playing up unruly ( which he is much less at the outdoor dog training  classes ). Such a shame as I enjoyed going & met a couple very helpful owners of other breeds but not sure if I have left it too late? To stand like a show dog?
So I have not given up or have I left it too late?good idea to try clicker to get the stand position & lure forward to stand.
Please let me know how you get on too and any more tips you find that worked to encourage standing your dog? I have been told constantly it's because I taught him all the other stuff that he won't stand? I just thought he could do it all TBH? Eventually of course?
Resigned myself this pup is not my future show dog unless there is a naughty unruly non stand show category :005: