Author Topic: Billy saw a behaviourist today - Again!  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Billy saw a behaviourist today - Again!
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:46:40 PM »
We saw a wonderful lady today, recommended by DP.

This is the second behaviorist we have seen, the first thought Billy was being dominant and we had to ban him from furniture, ignore him when we come home etc etc .

However today this lady doesn't believe in the dominance/pack theory with humans and doesn't believe Billy is being dominant or boisterous, the exact opposite.

She said Billy is "stressed" and she could clearly see this by watching his behavior during the 2 hr session. She said he is clearly not a happy dog and his behavior isn't really normal and his aggression is his coping mechanism of dealing with what's stressing him out. He's not trying to be boisterous, but he's wary of people. Why? she's not sure, it could be just his genetic make up (like some humans get stressed out over little things) but he's not a settled dog as he should be  :'( She watched him as he approached her and said he is not sure and wasn't trusting of her, even at the end of the session when she had given him treats and played with him :-\

For the next 6 weeks I have to make him work more, to keep his mind occupied leaving him less time to focus on the things that stress him out, hopefully resulting in less anxiety and less aggression but it's no guarantee.
We already do find it games etc and clicker anyway -which she seemed quite happy about - so to increase this I have to put his food bowl away and from now on each meal has to be worked for. So one meal will be hidden around the house, another will be in his Kong, another in his treat ball etc etc so it's more interesting and fun rather than just 30 seconds with his head stuck in his bowl.

He is only ever aggressive when he is stroked so now we have to pretend Billy is surrounded by a bubble, and no one is to enter his bubble and respect his own space , so now no stroking to enable him to have the space he is craving at the moment.  This is what I follow anyway since he bit me,  I NEVER stroke him unless I have called him over and he happily comes over clearly wanting to be stroked. We now have to apply this rule to everyone, visitors, family, friends. Hopefully billy will settle when he is confident that no one is gonna invade his space and he may become less stressed out like he is now but only time will tell.

Castration isn't recommended - hooray!! horrar!!!

I feel much better now, she talked so much sense and seemed happy with what i have done with him so far to ease his aggression. I feel better to have discussed my opinions about Billy with someone else who can see it face to face also and for once someone who agrees with me that he is a wary dog not a naughty boisterous thing.

He is booked in at the vets as she also said there is a chance he may be suffering from mild epilepsy   :'(    (He's had a petite Mal before - triggered by food - the same thing that now triggers his aggression)

She also spent some time clicker training and lead walking with him . I have never seen anyone else walk with Billy and I know I am biased but my god he is beautiful  :luv:. He walks so beautifully, kind of like a horse when it gallops and lifts its feet up off the ground, his coat is so shiny and he has such a darling face. I never realised how beautfill he actually was until today  :luv:

We had this session at dogs trust Merseyside, WOW what a wonderful place for dogs, although there was a sign in the window that they cannot accept any more dogs for the next few weeks as they are full to bursting. Probably full of unwanted xmas pressies  :'(

Offline Victoria,Billy and Flossy

• Site Member
Re: Billy saw a behaviourist today - Again!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »
Hi, glad to hear that the session went well. We are taking Flossy to a behaviorist in the new year and I am encouraged by your experience.
A dog makes a house a home!!

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:55:37 PM »
How fab Jan, so pleased you had a good experience with her. :D

It must be sad for you to think that he is a stressed dog :-\ but at least you have some techniques to be going on with.  I really hope they work for you and Billy and that you see continued improvement.

We always knew he was gorgeous!!! :P :luv:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »
Good luck with the future for the lovely Billy. He looks so much like my Glen I find it hard to not get too emotionally involved with whatever is going on with him. Hope you can break through this and get some nice cuddles in the future.   :'(
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Penel

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »
Excellent - I have a friend (dogtrainer) that works with the DT at Merseyside - she says they are fab there so I have no doubt you have got correct advice !  The programme you've been given sounds good - did she mention Ttouch at all ?  good luck and keep us updated.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »
All the best Jan. 

We always knew he was gorgeous!!! :P :luv:

Yep!!  ;)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »
We had this session at dogs trust Merseyside, WOW what a wonderful place for dogs, although there was a sign in the window that they cannot accept any more dogs for the next few weeks as they are full to bursting. Probably full of unwanted xmas pressies  :'(

Sadly they were probably full before Christmas as people chuck them out before Christmas so it doesn't spoil it for them >:(

Pleased it all went well for you and Billy
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »
What a recommendation for anyone in your area looking for a behaviorist Jan! Fancy putting a name to her? (Or isn't it allowed on COL :-\). So glad you can now make some headway with getting Billy back on track  :blink: . He sounds a gorgeous dog.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »
For the next 6 weeks I have to make him work more, to keep his mind occupied leaving him less time to focus on the things that stress him out, hopefully resulting in less anxiety and less aggression but it's no guarantee.
We already do find it games etc and clicker anyway -which she seemed quite happy about - so to increase this I have to put his food bowl away and from now on each meal has to be worked for. So one meal will be hidden around the house, another will be in his Kong, another in his treat ball etc etc so it's more interesting and fun rather than just 30 seconds with his head stuck in his bowl.

Jan
You seem positive hope all of it helps.

I was also told to make Fern work for her meals - I don't think I could put her bowl totally away like you've been told though ::) So what I've done is feed her half in her bowl and make her work for the rest, I mainly use it by clicker training and treat ball.

Be very interested to hear how you and Billy get on with this

Good luck

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »
It must be sad for you to think that he is a stressed dog :-\

It is considering I've always thought he was just hyper, when she spotted it within minutes  :-\ Mark (Topbarks) has mentioned it to me before on a previous thread not so long ago that he sounded stressed.

There are things I am doing wrong, it will probably be in the report I'll get from her. She did say to me Billy needs to stop seeing me as one of "his staff" and that I should allow him the opportunity to do something once or not at all, for example if I have a treat and ask him to "down" if he doesn't "down" first time then no treat - simple. Whereas I'd ask him a couple of times. Therefore he's learned that "oh mummy will give me three or four attempts" and not do something straight away. So I have some work to do on myself too.
Excellent - I have a friend (dogtrainer) that works with the DT at Merseyside - she says they are fab there so I have no doubt you have got correct advice !  The programme you've been given sounds good - did she mention Ttouch at all ?  good luck and keep us updated.

She doesn't work for them I don't think, she just rented the room there but they all seemed to know her and a few of her own dogs came from there. Her name is Lyn. No she didn't mention TTouch

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 05:47:47 PM »
A lot of people do not recognise the signs of stress so just being aware of how Billy is feeling and the body language he is displaying to communicate how he feels will give you an advantage.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 05:48:05 PM »
That sounds great Jan - I'm really pleased you've found someone that knows what they are talking about and understands canine behaviour - it must be nice to finally have an ally rather than someone trying to apply inappropriate dominance theories. Good luck - I'll be interested to hear how things progress.  :blink:

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »
i wondered about T Touch too.
jan i hope everything works out well for you and the handsome billy.strangely, on christmas day,  my eldest son turned up wich instantly stressed me out,paddy i think picked up on my bad stressy vibes and attacked my son ph34r there was no obvious reason and no warning,he just walked up,wagged his tail then bit dan on the hand.he then took root in front of me (facing dan) and growled and snarled until i managed to convince dan that paddy meant to bite him again.dan got the message and went upstairs.
if i am very honest i can't decide if i should ignore it or see someone about it.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 06:13:17 PM »
i wondered about T Touch too.
jan i hope everything works out well for you and the handsome billy.strangely, on christmas day,  my eldest son turned up wich instantly stressed me out,paddy i think picked up on my bad stressy vibes and attacked my son ph34r there was no obvious reason and no warning,he just walked up,wagged his tail then bit dan on the hand.he then took root in front of me (facing dan) and growled and snarled until i managed to convince dan that paddy meant to bite him again.dan got the message and went upstairs.
if i am very honest i can't decide if i should ignore it or see someone about it.

Did he bite him when he went to stroke him? or just bite? . One of the things we discussed today was that billy didn't start becoming agressive until he was about 20 months old. The lady said just because it wasn't displayed until he was this age doesn't mean it has not always been there. Before this it is possible that he just coped ith being stroked when deep down he was hating it and feeling very uncomfortable and we didn't realise.
 She asked me to go through the exact scenario the first time Billy bit me. She said often people say "my dog attacked for no reason" when there is always a reason, its just been missed by us humans.
Its very upsetting, i imagine you must have been feeling terrible xmas day. Maybe have a chat with a behaviourist over the phone and see if they think it's worth having a session ?
my smileys aren't working again

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 06:21:48 PM »
...wishing you lots of luck and hope the new ideas help you both x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"