Author Topic: Possessiveness (jealous behaviour towards other dogs)  (Read 1296 times)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Possessiveness (jealous behaviour towards other dogs)
« on: February 27, 2004, 11:41:34 AM »
Has anyone else encountered a dog that is over-protective/possessive of it's owners (with other dogs)?
Toby doesn't like other dogs (except Millie) coming up to me and particularly the children. My mum brought her mastiff round last night, he's also male and the same age as Toby. Toby was okay with him unless he came to me or the children for attention, then he growled and snapped at him. He is fine with all people but he seems to have a problem with other dogs taking liberties.
Yesterday he was playing with another dog when he was off the lead with Millie and they were fine until the other dog ran up to me. Toby then barked and growled and when the dog didn't move away he tried to bite it. As soon as the dog ran off, he was playing with it normally again.
He was also fine with my mum's dog yesterday until he came to me or the children. While my mum was stroking her dog, Toby just sniffed him and wagged his tail, and he played with him in the garden.
I don't want this to be a problem at training classes. I have found a good class through the APBT website and I've been in contact with the trainer. She has offered either a one-to-one session, or she said I can take him to the class and see how he reacts as she seems to think the possessiveness may be because he is so insecure after being passed around for most of his short life and it should wear off if dealt with properly.
She has a waiting list for both one-to-one sessions and classes, does anyone have any idea how I could encourage him not to act possessively in the meantime? Should I ask other dogs over as often as possible? If so, what is the best way to react to his behaviour if he becomes snappy again?                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 02:17:22 PM »
Have you thought about asking the trainer if they have anything that you can be getting on with until you can go to a class.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 05:52:18 PM »
To be honest I haven't asked her so I might give her a ring again. I was in a bit of a tizz on the 'phone. I'm also wondering how a one-to-one would be beneficial. She said it can be used for whatever I want it to be but she does them at her house. This presents a problem, as the issue is mostly with the children (he is more possessive of them as far as I can tell) so she needs to see what he does with another dog and the children around.
I might see if she would consider a home visit.