Author Topic: Dominance  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Janet

• Site Member
Dominance
« on: March 13, 2004, 07:59:24 PM »
Is there anyone out there who can help me?  

You may remember me, I joined COL in October, I was desperately unhappy after losing my beloved orange roan cocker 'Barley'.  Writing on COL helped me through, when I couldn't talk about what had happened, even to my closest friends or family.

Anyway, I decided that I would rescue a cocker or two.  The first dog to come my way was Cagney, a bit of a mystery dog who was posted as an orange roan cocker cross.  Some said he was a working spaniel, others that he may be a Brittany spaniel, who knows, whatever he is we love him to bits.

I knew I still wanted another dog, preferabbly a cocker, initially I was contacting for a puppy, but wasn't sure and decided to keep looking on the rescue pages and see what happened.

Well today, after thinking the day would never come, we have rehomed Charlie (blue roan cocker).  He is 3 years old and a real darling.

However, we now have a problem with who is 'top dog'.  Cagney cannot accept Charlie approaching either me or my husband.  Cagney is mounting Charlie and at first Charlie let him, however, he is now resisting.  There is much barking going on, but both tails are wagging.  Both dogs are castrated. What can I do to ease the tension? as all Charlie wants is a bit of love.

Is this a temporary thing or will it continue? Is there anyone out there who can HELP? :?:                    
Janet

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Dominance
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 10:33:35 PM »
Have you just rehomed Charlie today?  If so, please give it time and don't  worry. They are likely to sort things out but leave them to it, if you can.

I have rescues and foster.  I had a 'lovely' time with a foster mounting Fletch all the time .  They had a shouting match and stopped after a couple of days.

Please give Charlie and Cagney time.  Human intervention in doggy matters often does more harm than good, unless you know they are fighting.                    

Offline Janet

• Site Member
Dominance
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 11:12:39 PM »
Thanks Hel, that's what I wanted to know.  It's horrible to see their noses being put out of joint, as obviously you want to protect your original dog, but want to reassure the newcomer that this will be a lovely home eventually.

Thankfully, there has been no fighting, just the barking and mounting, followed by lots of sleeping!!!

Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.  Will keep you posted.

Where would we be without COL, thanks again.                    
Janet

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Dominance
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 12:44:40 PM »
Hi Janet

Congratulations on your new addition.  Is than the blue roan called 'Charlie' that was on Dogpages?

Although my situation is somewhat different in that it's a pup that has just joined us, there was a lot of tearing about and gnashing of teeth (although not aggressive at all) in the first couple of days.  They've both settled down a bit and got used to each other now and enjoy quiet times as well as the manic periods where Cooper (pup) latches onto Morgan's ears for a spin round the kitchen floor  :lol:

I'm sure things will settle down and you'll have lots of fun just watching their antics.

Best wishes

Shirley                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Janet

• Site Member
Dominance
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 12:57:36 PM »
Yes Shirley, it is Charlie, the blue roan from DogPages.  I still can't believe my luck as I thought I would never get him, but here he is walking around our house with Cagney.  Things have settled down quite a bit.  Thanks again to Hel for her words of wisdom last night.  I'll post some pictures in the gallery ASAP.                    
Janet

Offline Beano and Charlies mum

• Site Member
    • http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/beanosmum/
Dominance
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 10:25:47 PM »
Hi Janet,

Congratulations on getting Charlie.

When i got my Charlie from dogpages, I had a bit of trouble with him and Beano at first ! Charlie was forever growling and chasing Beano away. Beano was quite happy to run upstairs at the time and then got fed up of it and one almighty fight broke out! Neither were hurt, more noise and jumping about than anythingelse, but boy did i panic ! After a couple of days and a few more scuffles, they just seemed to settle  and are now the best of friends!

We do still have the occaisional scuffle but nothing bad.

I am sure if you give them a few days, they will settle and realise there is enough love there for them both.

Sam                    

Offline Janet

• Site Member
Dominance
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 08:17:30 PM »
Glad to say life is settling down.  They are actually playing and sleeping together.  Charlie is a bit on the tubby side, but Cagney has decided to get him fit.  Cagney can run for England and Charlie is trying his best to keep up!!!It is lovely to see them.  They are currently playing 'tug of war'. I think it's friendly, but no doubt it is just another 'I'm better than you challenge'!!Never mind double the trouble, it's double the joy!!                    
Janet

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Dominance
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 08:25:16 PM »
Double the trouble and double the joy is right. :lol:  It's great to hear things are settling down and they are having fun, it sounds like you are having just as much fun watching them. :D                    

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Dominance
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 09:27:00 PM »
Hi Janet

I'm so glad they are getting on and playing together - playing and sleeping together after such a short time is wonderful.

Congratulations on your new addition.  It sounds as if both Cagney and Charlie have landed on their feet and are lucky doggies to have found you.

Very best wishes

Helen                    

Offline Janet

• Site Member
Dominance
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 10:46:16 PM »
Thanks Hel and Colin, life became a joy when Cagney entered our lives and now Charlie has enriched it.  I could spend hours just watching them getting to know each other.  Yesterday was a joy watching them play in the garden on such a lovely spring day.  Cagney has calmed down a lot since Charlie arrived, I think he needed another dog in his life.  I don't know who is happier, the dogs or us!! I must admit we had a few worries over adopting a second dog but have no regrets.  It is lovely to have a Cocker back in the house.  Saturday night was a bit traumatic, but seems a distant memory now.  I was so glad to hear from you Hel, your message gave us reassurance, where would we all be without COL?                    
Janet