Author Topic: How can I stop him......  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Karen

• Site Member
How can I stop him......
« on: March 14, 2004, 11:31:50 AM »
Peeing on things in the house to mark his territory?!!! Ollie is now 9 months old and house trained and well behaved. He seems to becoming top dog, first out the door and things like that. Anyway, just recently before I get up in the morning he has cocked his leg on the kitchen bin - just enough to mark it. That happened a couple of times and I thought maybe he was dying for a wee. This morning I get up and he's done it to the bin, fire and the cooker  :oops: I'm clearly not happy about this and I know he's doing it to say "it's my place" but how can I stop him?

Do I need to take him down a peg or two in the ranking order? I have no problem with him with the people in the house - he knows who's in charge and does as he's told so I don't know what to do. Also, what can I clean these areas with that will take away any scent for him to go back to? At the moment I've used bleach which I know is not the best thing but I had to get it clean!!! Any one have any experience or ideas on this one?                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx

Offline PennyB

How can I stop him......
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 12:13:46 PM »
Bleach is ammonia based just like urine and so won't mask the smell. I use 'Simple solution' (online at PetPlanet or you can get it from Pets at Home, garden centres, etc.) which smells nice and does the job (you can buy it in a spray or I just buy a large bottle and decant it into a plant sprayer). Its useful for lots of other things as well.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
How can I stop him......
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 01:44:13 PM »
Hi Karen,
You could try using Pet Fresh www.petfresh.co.uk I've not needed to use it myself but I have seen it demonstrated at shows and know of a couple of friends who have used it with good effect. :D                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
How can I stop him......
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 03:02:58 PM »
Our cocker was the same.Thought he would never learn, we tried every cleaning substance on the market but with no success. In the end we bought a carpet cleaner as I was worried about how unhygienic our carpets were becoming. Every time he had an accident we would shampoo that bit of carpet. It seamed like the only thing that would get rid f the mess and scent completley. It has been a pain but it has worked! He very rarley has an accident now. as he can no longer smell where he last had a wee. Its an expensive and time consuming way but it has worked for us. I dont believe any cleaning roduct that you can buy really does the trick, they just mask the smell to us humans.                    

Offline PennyB

How can I stop him......
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »
Our cocker was the same.Thought he would never learn, we tried every cleaning substance on the market but with no success. In the end we bought a carpet cleaner as I was worried about how unhygienic our carpets were becoming. Every time he had an accident we would shampoo that bit of carpet. It seamed like the only thing that would get rid f the mess and scent completley. It has been a pain but it has worked! He very rarley has an accident now. as he can no longer smell where he last had a wee. Its an expensive and time consuming way but it has worked for us. I dont believe any cleaning roduct that you can buy really does the trick, they just mask the smell to us humans.

Somehow I don't think he's doing it by accident, but not sure how to cure this problem as Wilf hasn't started doing it but then he's just been neutered so I doubt (touch wood) if he will.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
How can I stop him......
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 01:11:01 PM »
I had this problem with Blue too.

It only lasted for a short while and like Ollie, Blue had never done anything like this before either.

I didn't tell Blue off if he wee'd anywhere in the house and completely ignored this behaviour but gave him lots of praise for weeing outdoors :roll:  :D  

I used a biological washing powder to wash the carpets with, Which seemed to do the trick for me. :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx