Author Topic: Please help !!  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Ben

• Site Member
Please help !!
« on: March 20, 2004, 04:59:04 PM »
Hi
my six month old bitch cinder is great, very well behaved etc - but for one thing.
We regularly take her to the beach/forest where she is free to run aound and enjoy herself - she never strays more than 10 yards away and the whole experience is fine until it is time to put her back on the lead and go home.

She will not come to me to have the lead put on - if I walk to her - she just runs 5 yards away and lays down. If I move - she moves and then we go on. if I get near her she darts the other way.

It took me 10 mins to get her back on the lead today - and only managed it because a passing walker grabbed her collar when cinder went to say hello to him

this is so annoying - what would anyone suggest please?

( tried using biscuits/treats - she wont come for them - just sits out of my reach)

Thanks                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Please help !!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 05:31:59 PM »
Hi Ben,

When she is off lead, do you only call her back to you when you are ready to go home? If so, then this can be what the problem is.  Start by practising recall in the house - keep a special treat(ie hot dogs cut up into small bits) that isn't used for any other training purposes or a special toy that she doesn't have access to at any other times. Start by calling her to you and when she comes to you, praise her and give her a treat or play a game with the toy. Do this randomly throughout the day - she will soon get the idea that coming back to you when you call means she will get a treat. When you are happy with her progress, then you may want to try her on a long training line outdoors to begin with. This way she has some freedom but you will ultimately still be in control.  Again, call her to you at various periods throughout. When she comes to you, praise her, give her her treat and then send her away to play again. Once she is being quite consistent with this, you can start reducing the treats down by only giving her one on every alternate recall.  When it comes time to call her back to put her lead on, maybe try keeping it out of sight and call her to you. When she is sitting, you can then get hold of her collar and put her lead on. I still have to make this part fun for my rascals :roll:  so I can often be heard saying in my most silly high pitched voice "leads means treats" :oops:  Once they get their leads on, they sit very patiently to get their treat.  It might be worth a try for you. Thsi si how I got round it but maybe others will have different techniques you can try.

Good luck :D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Please help !!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 07:39:24 PM »
We use the whistle for Billy.When he hears the whistle he knows it means treats.When we are out in the park etc i will blow the whistle to get him to come to me. When he comes I give him a treat then send him away toplay. Or sometimes give him a treat and put him back on the lead.Billy never knows when i blow the whistle that it means just treat or treat and back on lead, it keeps him guessing. It has been fantastic for us. However Billy is very food motivated, he loves his food. He only never returned once and that was when he found a ham salad muffin on the floor  :lol: .Its worth a try. :wink:                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Please help !!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 10:41:15 PM »
When walking Brogan (8 months next week). I keep my lead around my body so that it is always to hand, in view but is non-threatening. I recall often to play games etc.  When the recall is to give a food treat I always take hold of the collar before handing over the goodies and will usually release again.  Occasionally the lead will go back on - at this point - at random.

When the lead goes back on - I always walk a short distance and then treat with another game off lead or another run across the field.  Doing this numerous times stops him knowing when the fun will end.  He's not very food orientated but loves his freedom - hence using this as his reward.  Brogan is crazy for Tug o war games - this is another treat once the lead is back on - it is then put away before we walk home or get ready for yet another release.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09