Author Topic: Cocker No.2(?)  (Read 917 times)

Offline gerry

• Site Member
Cocker No.2(?)
« on: March 23, 2004, 01:04:52 PM »
Hi everyone

We have got an 8mth old male cocker (Dylan) coming to stay this weekend for a trial period.  We had planned to get another when Rigsby was 2 (he is now 14 mths), but this dog has come up through a friend who knows someone who has recently made the decision to emigrate and is looking for a home for Dylan.  

Any tips for me - we want the visit to go as well as possible and are anxious that Rigsby's nose isn't put out of joint.  

Thanks, looking forward to all your input!                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Cocker No.2(?)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 01:23:14 PM »
Hi Gerry,

I would say that as long as you re-inforce that Rigsby is top dog in the house hold (treats / dinner / fuss first) that Dylan will soon learn his place in the pack.

Have you met him yet? As if not it might be a good idea for you and your family to meet Dylan first and see how you get on with him.

As he is a bit older than your average pup, I would say perhaps a meeting on neutral ground might be best, then you can take them for a walk together.

Cockers are generally very sociable friendly dogs who just love other dogs, so providing neither of them has a dominance issue then they should love each others company.

I sure the others will be aong later with more advice, these are just my ideas :)

HTH

Kel                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Cocker No.2(?)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 03:20:13 PM »
When we got Sonny, we took our two dogs with us to introduce them to Sonny on neutrel ground, let them have a play and them they all bounded into the car. Arriving home, instead of going straight in the house we went in the garden had another play and them opened the back door and when Sonny entered the house there was no problems. It worked for us so might be worth a try. Good Luck :D  :D                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker No.2(?)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 04:04:48 PM »
I agree with Susan - introducing Rigsby & Dylan on neutral ground is the best way to do things rather than suddenly have Dylan arriving on the doorstep so to speak :) I would not worry about making sure Rigsby is top dog - pack heirarchy is something dogs will work out for themselves - you cannot always ensure the older dog remains "top dog" because it's not necessarily age which decides this but each dog's personality. As long as Dylan & Rigsby aren't too similar in temperament, they should get along ok. Good luck :)                    
Jane