Author Topic: Biting other dog  (Read 1300 times)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Biting other dog
« on: April 05, 2004, 11:12:29 PM »
How can I get Toby to stop play-biting Millie? Poor Millie is so fed up  :(
He bites her legs and paws as she walks, he bites her ears, dives at her etc. He wants her to play, it's not nasty biting, but it still hurts her!
Sometimes she does play with him, and inevitably she wins being so much bigger  :lol:
But most of the time she doesn't want to play and he has made her cry a few times. At the moment, everytime I catch him doing it I pull him away and say NO to him, but he just ignores me and goes back again  :?
It's driving all of us round the bend. Is there any way to persuade him not to do this?                    

Offline PennyB

Biting other dog
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 09:02:18 AM »
Ruby does this to Wilf all the time but I just ignore them which isn't much help to you. Ruby's the bossy one in the house and Wilf's the comedian and while he is starting to get his own back Ruby does make him cry at least once a day (like any big bossy sister would I guess).

How old is Millie. If I remember rightly isn't Toby still quite young so its possible he may grow out of it and I doubt if Millie will be scarred for life by it all.

Sometimes if we interfere it can make matters worse (I know it would in our house as Ruby's also, through play fighting etc. making sure Wilf knows his place in the house!).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Biting other dog
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:23:36 PM »
Hi Kelly,

I am no expert on having 2 dogs, but I would think that if Millie was totally fed-up with Toby then he would know about it  :wink: and I am sure she would put him in his place  :)
Although it might appear quite annoying to you, it mustn't be annoying Millie to much or she would retaliate. My friends cocker Roana wants to play 24 hours a day...where as Butty likes a break (just for 2 minutes  :wink:  :lol: ) I can assure you that Butty certainly does not hesitate in putting Roana in her place when she thinks enough is enough. It took me a while to get used to the fact that although it sounds like they are killing each other  :shock:  they are actually just playing. Now I know the difference....and usually do not intervene  :wink: and any squabbles are usually over in seconds  :) I'm sure as Toby gets older he will settle down  :)                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Biting other dog
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 12:56:21 PM »
Although it might appear quite annoying to you, it mustn't be annoying Millie to much or she would retaliate :)

Same scenario with my two - when off lead, Daisy constantly bites at Jazz's ears and back legs to stop her from running away... it gets on my nerves to watch, but obviously Jazz doesnt pay too much attention to it  otherwise Daisy would be firmly put in her place. I do still wish that just one time, Jazz would do the same to Daisy - being very dim though, I doubt she would learn from a taste of her own medicine  :lol:                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Biting other dog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 01:11:55 PM »
Yep, same here,
Jess my cocker always get walked with her litter sister Abbie my mothers pup and they do sound like they are killing each other on times.  They are growling, barking and baring teeth and biting each others ears which often makes one of them yelp in pain :roll:

I have been assured by other owners that this is simply rough play but it does sound terrible :shock:

I agree that if millie was really fed up she would put toby in his place :lol:                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Biting other dog
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 01:35:23 PM »
As with everyone else, I leave them to it.  I had the same concerns as you at first, as Morgan was (in my eyes, at least) getting a hard time from Cooper.  It has never bothered him though.  He plays when he feels like it and the rest of the time he just carries on doing whatever he's doing with or without Cooper latched onto his ear  :lol:  It is quite funny to see him walking about the house ignoring the fact that he's got 'the furball' biting his legs and climbing on his back.  That don't stop Cooper though   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  I'm actually very glad that Morgan is so tolerant  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Biting other dog
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 08:43:40 PM »
Toby is only 8 months old, Millie is 4 next week.
The main problem is that Millie is such a softie that she puts up with anything. But on the other hand, on the occasions she HAS joined in, she has seemed pretty angry about it all so maybe she does put him in his place from time to time  :wink:
It's still annoying though  :lol: Especially when he starts growling and diving at her in the middle of my favourite progamme on TV  :lol:                    

Offline PennyB

Biting other dog
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 10:52:31 PM »
It's still annoying though  :lol: Especially when he starts growling and diving at her in the middle of my favourite progamme on TV  :lol:

I've ended up having to tape all my favourite stuff so that I can watch it in peace when world war 3 has died down                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Beano and Charlies mum

• Site Member
    • http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/beanosmum/
Biting other dog
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 01:21:53 PM »
Hi Kelly,

Charlie is exactly the same with Beano. Always hanging from his ears and all his feathering. Hubby gets quite annoyed with all the noise that they make  :roll: . Goodness knows what the neighbours must think when the dogs are fighting and then the 3 kids on top of that !!

Im sure Mille will let Toby know when enough is enough !! Beano is very laid back and soft, but he will put Charlie in his place if Charlie is getting to much .

Cheeky Charlie is even going as far as answering you back when you tell him no  :shock:  He barks back at you. Guess hes been taking lessons from my ten yr old !! :wink:  :lol: