Author Topic: Top dog or not top dog....?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Karen

• Site Member
Top dog or not top dog....?
« on: April 08, 2004, 03:50:32 PM »
Does anyone out there with more than one dog have this problem.... Ollie is nearly 10 months old now and I think he's trying to be in charge of the other 2 (typical bloke!!) I've noticed he lays in doorways and the girls will not even try to get past him. Tia is my shadow and has always followed me everywhere but even she has been staying in the other room and crying because she can't be near me?! There is no nasty behaviour invovled and they all get on well and play together so I'm not sure if this will develop into a problem or not. He's clear that I am actually top dog and there are no issues from that but should I correct or stop him from blocking the others movement - or do I just let them get on with it? I've had to actually pick Blue and Tia up on seperate occasions and carry them past him so they can go where they wanted to!!! He just lays there looking at me as if to say "what's the problem - they could have got past me?" Any ideas anyone? :roll:                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 05:25:40 PM »
Well, I'm certainly no expert but I have the same situation in my house. I have 3 boys and I tried to reinforce Brook as top dog as he was there first but I now think Vegas is trying to take over. Brook isn't ready to give up his crown just yet so theres a fair bit of growling going on :roll:  I'm sure I read somewhere that although one dog may be top dog at a certain time, they may be ousted in the future eg through old age, like in Brooks case.  Dallas is well and truly at the bottom of the pack and if one of the others is lying in the doorway he won't try and come out, more so if its Brook. Its basically up to the dogs to sort their own places out and its best not to interfere, even if its not what we had planned :wink:

Can't wait till I get my little girlie. I'm sure she will put them all in their place :wink:  :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 06:31:51 PM »
Hi Karen

I'm surprised that Tia is putting up with it as it is usually the Bitches that put the Dogs in their places.  So why they don't want to go past Olly is a mystery to me.

I have three Boys ranging from nearly 7, 5 and 2 1/2 my 7 year old is the Top Dog but we did have a few fallings out with the 5 year old until the 7 year old put him in his place, since then everything has been fine.  Just waiting for the 2 1/2 year old to start now  :roll:                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 10:56:30 PM »
I'm surprised that Tia is putting up with it as it is usually the Bitches that put the Dogs in their places.  So why they don't want to go past Olly is a mystery to me.

I guess it all could depend on how confident the bitch was in the 1st place.

Ruby is very bossy and topdog in the house but when another bitch we know comes to stay Ruby allows Maddie to be topdog for the day without argument!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!