Author Topic: Who else is nervous of letting their dogs off lead? U/D done it  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Re: Who else is nervous of letting their dogs off lead?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »
In agility training, he's off lead but his attention is on doing the obstacles and on me, but he can sometimes go off after a scent, but i get him back. there is an open fence right next to our field into another field which has horses in, and he's been good so far and hasn't gone in yet.

So I guess this means he does want to 'behave',  :police: but be a dog first and foremost?  Think you would be surprised how many other dogs would not have asked permission but run off into that field with horses at the first opportunity.  ;)

Yes, if he looks at them, I tell him to leave them, and when we are doing a run and he's off lead, and we are going in the direction of the horses, i keep his concentration on me. sometimes the horses come right up to the fence as well, and the dogs get all excited.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »
My OH was the first to let Murphy off, he was my first dog,OH had been raised with dogs, we were both with Maddi the first time she was offlead -they are so much better offlead if I'm not nervous about it iyswim, if I'm relaxed, they are relaxed and check back for treats regularly
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »
Imagine what you'd get of you had my Louie and a muddy Lake  ::) No prizes for guessing where the cocker-hippo would be  >:(  Actually all you need is a big muddy muddle and theres no problem catching Lou as he'd be too busy wallowing in it!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 11:30:33 PM »
In agility training, he's off lead but his attention is on doing the obstacles and on me, but he can sometimes go off after a scent, but i get him back. there is an open fence right next to our field into another field which has horses in, and he's been good so far and hasn't gone in yet.

So I guess this means he does want to 'behave',  :police: but be a dog first and foremost?  Think you would be surprised how many other dogs would not have asked permission but run off into that field with horses at the first opportunity.  ;)

Yes, if he looks at them, I tell him to leave them, and when we are doing a run and he's off lead, and we are going in the direction of the horses, i keep his concentration on me. sometimes the horses come right up to the fence as well, and the dogs get all excited.

Yes I expect they do.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
Imagine what you'd get of you had my Louie and a muddy Lake  ::) No prizes for guessing where the cocker-hippo would be  >:(  Actually all you need is a big muddy muddle and theres no problem catching Lou as he'd be too busy wallowing in it!

Move over a bit Lou - the muddies want to share the pond  :lol2: - usually at the very end of the walk bless 'em
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 01:54:55 AM »
We take Alfie & Mollie to the woods most days.  Mollie dashes about very busy but rarely leaves our sight, but TBH I don't see that much of Alfie.  I'm never going to work him so I figure he might as well enjoy himself.  I whistle him back periodically or when I'm changing direction but sometimes it takes him a while to get back.  If I see him streaking off after a scent I don't try to recall him immediately as I know I'll fail.  If we're coming to a road I make sure he's back with me well beforehand and keep him close till we've crossed it.  On the other hand, if he knows there's a ball in my pocket he pesters me and I can't get rid of him.  He's tired out towards the end of the walk so usually finds himself a big stick to carry and then he will trot along on the path with us.

I know I'm no great shakes with the training and it was Nicola who put in all the very hard work, and I used to worry, but life's too short.  Maybe you could train yourself to not call him back for 1 minute, and then 2 minutes the next day and so on till you're not so worried and see how he gets on.  From what you've said in your posts he'll be fine.  (Unlike Ollie, the one day I took Alfie to agility and they decided to do it outside, he immediately shot across 2 playing fields instead of after the flyball and I was mortified.)

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 09:07:02 AM »
I'm going to let him off in the woods today. I'm going armed with squeaky toys and tons of treats. Wish me luck. :) I'll report back later how we got on.

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Who else is nervous of letting their dogs off lead? U/D today's the day
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
Good luck and have a lovely walk. I think you'll both really enjoy it :D x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »
Hope the weather is better by you than here...  Have a great walk  :D

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
Have you considered attached a bell to his collar so you can hear where he is? It may be that he isn't that far away but just hidden in the undergrowth, being able to hear him might be reassuring for you?

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
Well we went for the walk, and it was pouring. :D He was very good. we were in quite an open bit of the woods so we could always see him. whenever he ran ahead, he'd stop and look back and wait for us to catch up and then run off again. he did roll in some fox poo though.  :020: If he went too far ahead, then we'd call him then walk in the other direction and he came streaming past us.  :005: The only thing he's not good about in the woods is coming to me. As there are so many smells and it was wet so the smells were even stronger, he wanted to smell more than come to me. We took a squeaky toy that he ignored, and we took some hot dog sausage, which he loves but can take it or leave it. Can you buy livercake? I don't know what is more high value than a sausage.

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
Re: Who else is nervous of letting their dogs off lead? U/D done it
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »
Sounds as though he really enjoyed his freedom in the woods. Now you have taken the first step you will have more confidence in the future.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »
Got to say I sympathise with you.
Luis has been off lead, on the tops, for months now.....and he is only 11 months old.  But he is really unpredictable....some days his recall is absolutely spot on, then others, he worries the life out of me, and I feel a nervous wreck.  Thing is though, he always finds me..... so I think what the others have said is quite true............they know where we are.

I guess we have to give the their freedom, having taken out as many risks as we can.
Still scares me though. :005:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline mcphee

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
This is quite an interesting thread. My approach to Rufus's recall has completely changed since I got Cruella as a trainer. I realise that although a lot of advice I have been given was relevant for the majority of dogs, it was not relevant for Rufus. Rufus has always been obsessed with undergrowth, and dense woodland is his absolute favourite. Even now on the new regime he finds the attraction quite difficult to resist, but we do go off lead almost everywhere. When she saw the strength of his hunting instinct, she was able to identify where I could manage better. We do not use food or treats, which suits Rufus, and hardly call at all. I have found the secret is to give him enough scope to have fun, but enough concern about my whereabouts to want to find me quicker than he ever would have done previously. The only place I would not let him off is woodland near maize, because these two types of terrain are too difficult for him to resist. In the last week, using Cruella's methods I have called him off squirrels, cats, phessies and bunnies, but only where the hunt was getting too serious. I wish I had found Cruella 3 years ago! One of the most interesting things was restricting walks, where possible to under an hour and a half, as the longer he is out and tempted, the more he needs to hunt, a bit like an overexcited child. This suits both of us nicely!

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 12:10:15 PM »
I want to give YOU a hug.  You are getting so wound up about this.  I do understand though.  We have acres of arable land around here, but not many places to safely walk a dog off lead.  One of mine is an angel, the other is like your monkey.  She needs to run, really run..so I make a game of it.  Tip from an agility friend ;).  I hold her collar and say "ready, steady, GO!" she belts off and then comes back for me to do it again. Perhaps you could teach something like that?...only on a sniffing theme :lol2:.

We also walk with friends (who all have collies for obedience or agility) so little miss monster likes to play with them and will follow them back!!  If all else fails get a flexi lead so you are both happy; but please for both your sakes stop worrying.

Hope it all works out.