Author Topic: Ollie's Exciting Time at the Country Park  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Ollie's Exciting Time at the Country Park
« on: April 30, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
Hiya

Took Ollie to the country park this morning. He was beyond brilliant.  :D He was responding to recall commands well, he was interested in me, he would look back at me from time to time to check where i was, he'd come back to my side every so often, even though i didn't call him.  :D He had a bit of an exciting time though. He went down the lake's edge and found either fox wee or fox poo. He started to roll and he accidentally fell in the water. The water wasn't deep but it was hilarious to watch.  :005: poor little baby. He got soaked. Unfortantely, we walked on a bit, and he started holding up his hind leg and limping. I checked his foot and he was obviously distressed by something but I couldn't find anything wrong. He may have stood on a stone and bruised his pad or he may have hurt one of his pads when he fell in the water. But after walking on a bit, he put weight back onto the foot and was fine after this. He then went to his favourite bit of the walk, a wall by the side of the lake. He loves jumping off the wall and running alongside the lake. He jumps down well, although parts of the wall are steep, it does have gentle slopes to help him jump down comfortably. He then saw a pair of ducks fly off and he wanted to chase them. Unfortantely these ducks were in the water, but Ollie jumped in and paddled a little way out but found that he couldn't go any further without swimming (which he doesn't like, he likes his feet firmly on the ground) so came back. Then he saw a floating ball on the water and jumped in again to try and get it. Again, he realised it was too far out, and came back. He ran up and down the side of the lake, and then climbed up the wall and ran along the top of the wall. After he came off the wall, he wanted to go and chase some ducks which were on land, but they were nesting, so I didn't let him. When we got home, he got a lovely bath cos he was stinky.  :005: But he loved his walk today and he was very good.  :D

Offline luckypenny

Re: Ollie's Exciting Time at the Country Park
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:32:01 PM »
Sounds as if he had a great time - there's nothing to beat the feeling when you get back and they've been really good :blink:

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
Sounds like a lovely walk, glad he didn't hurt his paw. I bet once he has a swim you wont be able to keep him out of the water :D
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline baxterboy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
how did you prevent him chasing the ducks that were nesting? our wee chap would have gone wild at the sight / smell

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
how did you prevent him chasing the ducks that were nesting? our wee chap would have gone wild at the sight / smell

he was on a long line so I just had hold of the end.

thanks guys he really loved it. He loves the water but hasn't had to courage to swim yet. :D

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:01:45 PM »
This thread was temporarily removed and some posts have been deleted. Laura wasn't asking a question about using a longline but posting about a nice walk she'd had with her dog. Her continued/permanent use of the longline has been discussed numerous times before but ultimately it's for Laura to decide what she thinks is for the best, regardless of whether any of us agree or not. So please, no more arguing on this subject from either 'side' or the thread will be removed or locked. Thanks.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
Thanks Colin. Ollie had a lovely walk this morning. He met an elderly lady who stroked him and he was so good, didn't jump up or anything. And he met a young lab. SOO CUTE!!!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »
Pleased to hear he's out enjoying himself, my two don't do water......would love to see them swimming one day though, let me know if he ends up swimming  :blink:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »
Sounded like a great walk :D Alfie's getting braver and braver about water, i think he swam last week but i couldnt really tell as he could have just been tip-toeing along the bottom :005: xxxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »
Glad you and Ollie had a great walk, I took mine to Fritton Woods today but it was really too cold for a swim. Katie did not even find a muddy puddle to wallow in.  ;) But when the weather warms up I expect it will be business as usual - bless em
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
Sounds like you both have had a couple of great walks. Chloe and I had a really good one today too....6 miles in the forest; she was off on the scent of deer and rabbits most of the time....I walked 6 miles, she must have done about 16!!! It was great that she came back everytime I recalled her to the whistle, I feel so proud of the bonding we have now, and that I can trust her to go exploring on her own  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
I'm glad Ollie had a great walk and an exciting time. :luv:  I took Elmo on the hills and by the river, he ran around, chased sticks,then went into "hunting mode", got in the water twice, but it was a bit cold and he didn't swim. It feels great when you go out with them and they get plenty of exercise(and they are good, as someone else said). :blink:
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A