Author Topic: Eating dead things  (Read 902 times)

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Eating dead things
« on: February 01, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
I think I know where this is going to go pbut please soneome help.

Spice is my 4th spaniel and I thought I had it sussed - a bit of rolling, slective deafness, cocker hugs and slobbers but this little lady is something else.

Spice "finds" dead things - I know that this is normal behaviour for a dog and that it is lovely and appetising to her but I am having a massive problem getting it away from her - she crunches - and boy does she crunch and I can not get her back to get it away.  Dead birds, foxes, mice, little furries - anything that is dead and has crunchy bones. 

At home I have a wonderful leave it - little darling will drop and sit sweetly waiting for treat (had to as had no more knickers with crotches and socks with toes left) but things are very different on a walk.  I really really do not know what to do - I am most worried that she will pick up something that has been posioned / has some kind of communicable disease well and that to me )though not her) it is rather gross.

I am not quite sure how to step things up a gear on a walk when she has her most prized possession - I have not had this problem with the others - amazing rollers and often have production line hose downs when we get home but not dead bone crunchers!!!

Please help this is becoming a more and more frequent occurence and as it is quite dark when I walk in the mornings I can not always see what is up ahead before she sees and smells it.

Funny enough all Spicey kisses are well off the menu and likely to be for a while!!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Eating dead things
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »
I think I know where this is going to go pbut please soneome help.

I'm not sure what suggestions you are expecting but I have a slightly unusual solution -  have you considered feeding her a raw diet - either completely or as an occasional treat?   :huh:

I have discovered that when Molo gets bones in his diet -  in the form of chicken wings and rabbit portions -  then he has less interest in chewing other things, but if he fed on complete food, he seeks out things to crunch (I tend to give him rawhide and pigs ears to keep him satisfied)  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 01:55:12 PM »
No that is not what I was expecting cause I know I need to work on leave just not quite sure how.

Although not fed completely raw my dogs regualrly have chicken wings amd lamb bones and any other suitable bones that they have at the farm shop!!  But not all the time - phyiscally I think I would struggle with all especially over weekends when we are away at agility.  She does adore bones and polishes them off soooo much quicker than the others - might need to think about just changing her over to start - certainly worth thinking about - guess it takes away the novelty factor!!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 07:42:32 PM »
spice MUST be related to my fartypants love a dead thing rolo. He is a pig. I find screaming like a banshee and backing off very usefull.  ;)
 actually when ive noticed him with something he will drop on command but it could be down to a tiny hint of hysteria in my voice...
seriously your dog will think its the tastiest treat ever so find something stinkier  and more attractive to the dog   that you can do a trade with. something really smelly like pilchards . she may drop what she has to get smellier thing. downside is youve got to cart it round with you. you could try setting her up by getting her to drop chicken wings  in the house and rewarding her with the smelly treat..then leave some wings outside for her to find on walk and get her to swop for treat.
 and dont forget to worm her regularly...

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:04:50 PM »
Ben won't give things up easily and he used to stay away from me with his 'dead and stinky' prize  ph34r 

I've changed tactics recently and acted really excited if he finds something - I've been on my knees in a muddy field telling him how brilliant he is in an over excilted voice and asking for a look  :005:  In the end he can't help showing off and bringing it near me.  I'm happy to get him on a lead so that he doesn't have the chance to swallow too much and wait for him to drop it on his own.  He then gets some gravey bones (poor exchange but better than nothing).

My big result was the day that he had a dead mouse that he obviously treasured.  He even put it in my hand in the end while watching me very carefully - I gave it back and let him carry it a bit more.

I know there are well trained dogs out there that will leave on command - it's me that has failed with that one - but at least I can persuade him to leave it eventually  :D

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:22:37 PM »
well there not a chance in the hot place that I ever want my lot to give me a dead mouse.. a live ones fine.. anythings fine as long as its not dead... thankfully mine drop like a shot I never have to repeat the command. they are actually meant to present to hand which they do to OH.. he doesnt want what hes shot legging it if its not dead. Me Id be giving it first aid and crutches and sending it on its way... ;)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:33:14 PM »
well there not a chance in the hot place that I ever want my lot to give me a dead mouse.. a live ones fine.. anythings fine as long as its not dead...  Me Id be giving it first aid and crutches and sending it on its way... ;)

:lol: :lol:

I have to admit that I checked the poor thing first - if it had been breathing I don't know what I'd have done!  It's just dead things that Ben gets hold of!