Author Topic: scurrying?  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
scurrying?
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »
Okk, so what exactly is scurrying???
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Cazzie

Re: scurrying?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
There are different scurry's but the main aim is for your dog to retrieve a dummy, its timed and the fastest time wins  :blink:

Different scurry's would be:

Obsticle, where your dog goes out jumping over obsticles such as straw bales, retrieves the dummy and runs back jumping over the obsticles on the return. Quite simple but speed is the essence.

Then you have (not sure what its called) a scurry where 1 dummy is fired out in a field in some rough cover, your dog has to retrieve and get it back to you, then it has to go out for a second retrieve which will be in a different place, again its all about time.

Rabbit distraction (which is my Belle's speciality)  :D The dummy is fired out, the dog is set out to retrieve but as they get out half way a rabbit dummy is quickly released right at the foot of the dog whilst they are in full speed, the aim is for your dog to ignore the rabbit and continue with the 1st retrieve again its about time, this scurry is one of the hardest as your dog has to be 100% steady to distraction and chasing.  :D

There is probaby more which involve other obsticles but most are about speed retrieving  :shades:

Offline jacnig

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »
There are water retrieves as well - again a dummy is launched into the water and your dog has too retrieve and get back to you time is the essence!!!  My old girls is fab in the water :005:  Just goes completely deaf once she hits it!!! :005:
Jacqui and the cocker crew

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
hmmm sounds like fun then!!!

Offline jacnig

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »
I have found peps are getting more and more competitive with the scurries even at the local Game Fair at Ragely Hall but we just have a go for a laugh and that it is :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »
I have found peps are getting more and more competitive with the scurries even at the local Game Fair at Ragely Hall but we just have a go for a laugh and that it is :005:
Aaaaaaaa but when you have a good dog and you start winning you do get competitive, its when your dogs not so good that its a laugh  :lol2: :lol2:

Offline jacnig

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »
Aaaaaaaa but when you have a good dog and you start winning you do get competitive, its when your dogs not so good that its a laugh  :lol2: :lol2:

I think its the handler in my case!!! :005:

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »
Well ill probably just watch laugh at you then at Blenheim palace!!!

Offline jacnig

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »
Well ill probably just watch laugh at you then at Blenheim palace!!!

Thanks for that then - now you will make me all shy!!! :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »

I have only ever entered these as FUN - but of course I am over the moon that Braan won the lady handlers yesterday at Scone  :D (It's only ever me that has done any training with him since he was 14 weeks - before that he was with someone else but he had only learnt how to sit when he came to me)

The first Scurry i put Fern into last yr was a great hoot - she would only jump the first bale and came straight back I ended up going with her - we didn't even get the dummy but it was a good laugh  :D

with Braan's first one i went running with him too - I wasn't thinking he would be any better than Fern but entered for a laugh and was gob smacked when he ended up coming 2nd at BASC game fair in May

I am not competitive and Braan will not (unless I go to Glamis game fair ) do any more scurries this year

But you are right  :D there are lots of people that travel round to every game fair to enter the scurries, I met some of them yesterday and even got asked if I'd sell them Braan - silly money was offered too  :-\ (No chance he is my baby and curled up on the sofa as I type this, if I had sold him, which I would never do, he'd be out in a kennel now )

Offline jacnig

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »

I have only ever entered these as FUN - but of course I am over the moon that Braan won the lady handlers yesterday at Scone  :D (It's only ever me that has done any training with him since he was 14 weeks - before that he was with someone else but he had only learnt how to sit when he came to me)

The first Scurry i put Fern into last yr was a great hoot - she would only jump the first bale and came straight back I ended up going with her - we didn't even get the dummy but it was a good laugh  :D
with Braan's first one i went running with him too - I wasn't thinking he would be any better than Fern but entered for a laugh and was gob smacked when he ended up coming 2nd at BASC game fair in May

I am not competitive and Braan will not (unless I go to Glamis game fair ) do any more scurries this year

But you are right  :D there are lots of people that travel round to every game fair to enter the scurries, I met some of them yesterday and even got asked if I'd sell them Braan - silly money was offered too  :-\ (No chance he is my baby and curled up on the sofa as I type this, if I had sold him, which I would never do, he'd be out in a kennel now )

Thank you for that.  I expect you are over the moon what a star he was.  As for Fern's first scurry at least she came back when I tried Pip in the water she went in looking very promising then decided the live game was more exciting than the dummy and it took me an hour to get her out!!! :005:  I am glad I am not the only one with them curled up on the sofa - we lead an active out door life and I am the only one who trains ours which are all very good in varying degrees and I do not travel around to compete, the Ragley Game Fair is are local and we are making the effort to go to the CLA at Blenheim as it is only an hour away and want to take advantage of the reduce rates for eye tests!!!

As well as enter a scurry or 2 for fun but my baby babies are still very young so I will not expect much!!!

Oh I might go to the Dunster one but only because we will be in Porlock on our hols!!!  That is were I first did a scurry with woody when he was only 5 months old and everyone there was so nice to us!!!

I am not competitive either so I think this makes the difference I dont have that great drive to win I love to play and train them and just generally be around them. :D

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
we are making the effort to go to the CLA at Blenheim as it is only an hour away and want to take advantage of the reduce rates for eye tests!!!

Blimey didn't know they did those at CLA - when you get back you must post and tell us all about it  :D - I've never been to CLA and would love to go one year  :shades: (not to do the scurry, but for the experience as I believe it is sooo big and the major one )

Have a great time whether you do the scurry or not have FUN  :D  (I'm not jealous one bit - yeah ok I am so  :shades: )

Have actually had an offer to travel down with friends that will be working down there, on one of the clothes stalls, but it's a long drive and I couldn't get the weekend off (they are going down on the Thursday and returning on the Monday) - don't think OH would be impressed if I went as I would be leaving him with the kids and all the dogs, so perhaps a good thing I couldn't get the weekend off  :-\