Author Topic: probably a stupid question...  (Read 1564 times)

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
probably a stupid question...
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »
...but is it only working type cockers who are worked? or do show types worked - obv would be disasterous for my dog seeing due to his long flowing locks acting like a twig and branch magnet  :005:
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: probably a stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »
Some are, sure there's a COLer in Europe somewhere who works a show type.....

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »
I think in some countries show dogs have to pass a working test in order to achieve champion status. There is a guy called Zorgi who posts on here occcasionally who has an absolutely amazing working Cocker called Brian but he's also got a show type Cocker which is trained to work, they live in Hungary. I've also seen photos of Katina's show dogs working as well I think, definitely doing some training anyway...
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »
I wish I had worked Morgana as she has a high work drive and some people that I know that work there dogs said I should, but I decided to channel her into Agility instead, but I think she would have been good. Oh and I probably should mention she's a Show strain with a working heart.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »
There are a few show people in the UK who work their dogs & are very into that side as well as showing. Most people don't have the time to do both of course (plus there's the coat issue as long show coats have to be cut back for working) but many show strain dogs are quite capable with the right training ;)
Jane

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
thanks folks, we are doing agility at the mo but you never know we may have a radical haircut and diversify!
Linz & Henry Dog