Author Topic: Cocker or Springer?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline SteveB

• Donator
Re: Cocker or Springer?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
I have posted this before on here.
I was told the difference between a cocker and a springer is. You can tell a springer to do something a cocker you have to ask.

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
I could inter change my Springers and Cockers and they are all very individual.  I would say that some of the dogs with countless field trial champions are more ready to go and you have to be ahead of them.  Of course I had a Springer bitch with a great pedigree who was the most wonderful dog and was born trained. Try a sprocker.

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
Hi

I'm not experienced enough to comment other than to quote the words of a breeder when I enquired about a Springer as a pet.

[unless you want your pet doing the wall of death in your lounge several times a day, I suggest you think of something else]

Mel.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »
Danny our springer was the best dog I have ever owned. We got him as a  6 month old rescue. He went to heaven too early, one week past his 8th birthday after a long battle with cancer. Minnie our working cocker was nuts, but now we have Dennis, our 16 week old show cocker, she has suddenly calmed down and is like a mum to him

John

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
Danny our springer was the best dog I have ever owned. We got him as a  6 month old rescue. He went to heaven too early, one week past his 8th birthday after a long battle with cancer. Minnie our working cocker was nuts, but now we have Dennis, our 16 week old show cocker, she has suddenly calmed down and is like a mum to him

John

Hi John

When we first started our interest in dogs it was a Springer we looked at. My friend had a Springer and he said it was the best dog he ever had, but unfortunately also went to heaven early.
When I started contacted breeders and said I wanted a Springer for a pet, one suggested that my friend was very lucky and that rescue kennels were full of Springer's whose owners could not cope with the demands of the breed.

Incidently, Dennis looks a beauty.

Mel.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »
Mel

he is! Minnie is great too, as have been all our spaniels, its more about how you bring them up. Sadly Brodie was beyond us and we only had him 5 weeks, before returning him to rescue, where he was found to have "rage" and pts.

It was so upsetting as 99% of the time he was great but that 1% of the time he got very scary and having a 4 year old granddaughter, Grace, I could not risk it.

Danny was such a softy though and Grace could do anything with him. Her and his fave was when she laid him a choccy trail of doggie choc buttons, which he used to love.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
I have posted this before on here.
I was told the difference between a cocker and a springer is. You can tell a springer to do something a cocker you have to ask.

Oh how very true this is, My old cocker Henry was a bit of a snob, no problem entering thick gorse for a game bird but would never go in for a rabbit, he would run around until he attracted one of the springers or terriers to bolt the rabbit then do the retrieve 
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly