Author Topic: Show, working or both?  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Redrocket

Show, working or both?
« on: July 06, 2022, 08:11:18 AM »
Hey!

I’m new here so unsure where I should post this.

Please could I have some opinions about my girl, is she working type, show type or mix? Im think she’s a mix. Her mum looked more showy and her dad more working, I think (pics attached)
I did a DNA test which came back “100% English Cocker Spaniel”. I was hoping for clarification of show or working but it doesn’t do that.
Just curious that’s all.

Mum
https://ibb.co/RYyX0Czc
https://ibb.co/qFzGLPxp

Dad
https://ibb.co/hC0w2pnP

My girl
https://ibb.co/jZp1tcRc
https://ibb.co/MZNNkzZx
https://ibb.co/84s143Mc

Offline Redrocket

Re: Show, working or both?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 08:24:56 AM »
It seems I cant get the photos to upload  :huh:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 08:25:43 AM »
Sorry, can’t see  any pictures  :shades:.

P.s. - Ah, - sorry they‘ve just come up! I need a photobucket account though I think?.... will have a look

Offline Redrocket

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 08:28:33 AM »
Photobucket isnt letting me copy a link for free so I'm stuck

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 08:38:01 AM »
Not very clued up I‘m afraid but I‘ve used ImgBB to upload pictures, which is free. I‘m sure someone else will come along in a bit who can help you better though, - (I’m one of the oldies who hover on the edge of technology!!  :lol2: :lol2:)
Welcome to COL though, great place for all cocker people!  :luv:

Offline Redrocket

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 08:38:53 AM »
I’ve just tried with IMGBB - please try the links  again  :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 11:10:45 AM »
 :blink: that‘s a hard one!  :shades:
From the photo, and particularly around the head, she looks very like Mum and I‘d therefore hazard a guess that she‘s got more show line, she also looks to be quite tall (?), all the workers I know seem to be on the smaller side,  but they all vary so much in shape and size and I don’t have as much experience as a lot of others on here so I‘ll be interested what everyone else says.
She‘s a beautiful girl though, whatever she is and her hair garland is very chic!  :005: :luv:  and I‘m sure you love her regardless!
 :luv:

Offline Redrocket

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 12:20:03 PM »
Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts.
Yes she is tall, bigger than the usual working type. Her ears are more show type but she doesn't have much feathering over the rest of her body like most shows. She has some on her legs but not obviously shes not got as much as the usual show. I guess shes a mix somehweere along the line.
Her Dad looks more working line but not true to type, little on the bigger side.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 06:54:38 PM »
Do you have her pedigree?  From there it should be easy to see if she has show or worker in her bloodline.  If you trace the pedigree backwards, there will probably be SH CH or FTCH.   If SH CH that indicates a show champion (show type)  and FTCH means a Field Trials Champion (worker).
As to size, workers can vary a lot.  Some are tiny pocket rockets of 10 kgs, while some tip the scales at 16/17 kgs.  My present girl is just over 12 kgs but my previous girls were of a larger type.
Your girl is lovely BTW  :luv: :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Toofast

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 07:26:10 PM »
Not all show type have heavy feathering around their legs, I do not think that is much to go by. Head shapes are quiet different too and the ears on the working type are set a lot higher
Your girl looks to be a show type. Well bred or not, does it really matter, she is gorgeous.

The working type and the show type are the same breed, they can be mated together and still produce pedigree Cocker Spaniel puppies that can be registered with the Kennel Club.

As suggested have a good look at the pedigree and follow the lines back looking for "Sh Ch " or FTCH, this will give you a better idea what lines are used in her breeding.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 07:49:01 PM »
Hello and welcome to you and your gorgeous girl  :luv: Looking at your gorgeous girl, I would say that she is a show cocker, but I am by no means and expert.

Offline Redrocket

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 05:43:47 PM »
Do you have her pedigree?  From there it should be easy to see if she has show or worker in her bloodline.  If you trace the pedigree backwards, there will probably be SH CH or FTCH.   If SH CH that indicates a show champion (show type)  and FTCH means a Field Trials Champion (worker).
As to size, workers can vary a lot.  Some are tiny pocket rockets of 10 kgs, while some tip the scales at 16/17 kgs.  My present girl is just over 12 kgs but my previous girls were of a larger type.
Your girl is lovely BTW  :luv: :luv:

She’s not pedigree hence why I’m asking  ;)
Thank you, I think so too!  :luv:

Offline Redrocket

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 05:44:46 PM »
Thanks for all your opinions, really appreciate them

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 10:35:06 AM »
Hey!

I’m new here so unsure where I should post this.

Please could I have some opinions about my girl, is she working type, show type or mix? Im think she’s a mix. Her mum looked more showy and her dad more working, I think (pics attached)

Use the 'direct links' in the menu (it will have 'jpg' extension on it at end) then when you paste in here and then you just highlight each link and click on 'image' button here
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!