Author Topic: Diet for wax & yeast  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Jude19

Diet for wax & yeast
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
Does anyone have experience of finding a diet that helps with wax in ears and yeast ? My 3 year old very hyper male was on Arden Grange chicken & rice from birth which I changed to fish and potato sensitive ( grain free,hypoallergenic which suits him ) due to possible allergies and reading that chicken is often a problem. After 18 months on this with only carrots and fishy treats he has lost a little weight from 11.4 to 10.75 kg. He is on Apoquel and we see the vet every 3 months or so for itchy ears and Surolan drops. I would like to stop the Apoquel having read that there are often side effects and wonder if the fish diet is not satisfying him. He steals and eats whole bananas, frozen food from under grill and on walks stuff that isn't edible. Would appreciate hearing if anyone has experience/advice in finding a diet that might help ( we haven't done any allergy tests and he was itchy from the day I brought hime home, less so now probably due to Apoquel and change of diet) His ears/wax are my main worry and have just bought some Ear Stuff from Stinky Stuff to try.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Diet for wax & yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »
Hello, we had a bit of an issue with Daisy and a yeast infection.  Changed her to a fish based diet and made sure any veg were not root veg as they turn to carbs, which the body changes to sugar, which yeast likes...  if that makes sense.  Daisy has added broccoli a lot as she loves it.  Also likes cauli and spinach.  She was grain free prior to this, but OH was inclined to share too much of is own food with her, which I think exacerbated the problem.  She is definitely better than she was, less itchy and smelly for sure.  Not sure if any of that is of any help to you.

Offline Jude19

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:41 PM »
Thanks for this, carbs was something I read about that could be a problem so maybe a fish based diet with rice irather than the potato if I can find one.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:05:14 AM »
My old boy William, who I lost just a couple of weeks ago at almost 16 years old, was always itchy when young and had recurring ear and lip fold infections, dry skin and a sensitive digestion for the first 5 years when he was kibble fed. We tried a variety of kibbles, including ones that were described as hypoallergenic, but he continued to have problems.

Before William came along I'd always been a raw feeder because that's what my first Cocker pup was fed on when he came to me in 1987. But when William came to me his breeder had fed him on kibble and my vet recommended it and basically told me my ideas were old fashioned and that kibble was the best way to feed.

It took me 5 years of thinking I had a dog with more than his share of health problems before the penny dropped and I stopped feeding kibble and started feeding raw. I can honestly say it was like waving a magic wand because within days his skin and digestion were a lot better and his ear and lip fold problems stopped, never to return until old age and even then only infrequently.

I'm not saying it's the solution for all dogs, but it definitely worked for William.

Offline Jude19

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks so much for this and what a wonderful age William reached, what a loss after all those years. Raw is something we have never fed in our family and a previous vet said she thought it was the quickest way to Salmonella, my current vet says it's a matter of opinion and he's a dermatologist. However it's always at the back of my mind as I have read so much about this ending itchyness soam pleased to hear of your experience. Jaffa is an Orange Roan also. Regards