Author Topic: Word Of Warning  (Read 1500 times)

Offline mick

• Site Member
Word Of Warning
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:17:47 AM »
Just a word of warning and I am not intending to put the wind up anyone but I noticed when I took Jess out yesterday that the Blue Algae is back...Probably due to the warm spell of weather we are having so best to check before letting the dogs swim in none running water.

Take care all.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Word Of Warning
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:26:59 AM »
What is the significance of blue algae? And why should we be warned? I've not heard of it before so Im intrigued
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Word Of Warning
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »
It's really poisonous. Humans/dogs shouldn't swim let alone swallow water with blue algae in it.

Here's a link to give you a picture what it's all about: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/water/fac...gae.htm#effects
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Word Of Warning
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »
At the loch beside our house (Castle Semple Loch) they put up notices if blue algae is detected.

The loch is a manmade loch but has rivers at either end - one of which connects to another loch which is part of an RSPB reserve.  It  is used for watersports and is a very popular dog walking area as a National Cycle Route runs along side it.

So I will keep my eye open for the signs.  ;)

But any of you who have been on a COL meet up with my Sophie will know that she is never likely to get her paws wet, never mind swim or drink infected water!!  :P
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline mick

• Site Member
Word Of Warning
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 08:11:55 AM »
Yes Aileen they also normally put signs up round our way but only if the water is monitored by a warden the problem for me is the areas that have no park warden such as ponds in fields and this is where you have to watch and be aware yourself.

In the past its been confind to the larger lakes and such in this area but I just will not let Jess go near the water when there is a risk of Blue Algea being present but like Sophie he prefers to sit near the water with his sunglasses on reading a good book than to risk getting his paws wet  :D    

A Dog died here last year due to Blue Algea the dog got thirsty and before they could stop him he was drinking the water.

Best to be on the safe side and check before hand until the weather cools down a bit.

Offline mick

• Site Member
Word Of Warning
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 09:01:14 AM »
Interesting article in the latest issue of Dogs Today on Blue Algae and other problems to watch out for.

Offline louisamoss

• Site Member
  • Holly and Bella
Word Of Warning
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »
Thanks thats really good to know as my two love to swim.

Is it obviously blue, its just that I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Louisaxx :)

Offline mick

• Site Member
Word Of Warning
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 11:08:57 AM »
Hi Louisa,

Its can be blue or green and I am sorry to say that in some cases it does not just sit on the top of the water but can sink to the bottom.

Its a real pain round here during the summer months. I tend to err on the side of caution when I take our Jess out though he is reluctant to go in the water anyway being the wimp that he  :lol: is but he will drink the water due to the heat so its a no go for him at present and I tend to keep away from water holes in the summer. Its a a shame cause there are some really nice walks round here but I tend to stick the the fields if possible.

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Word Of Warning
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 01:47:35 PM »
Hi all,  :(
Igot this mths DOGS TODAY mag, and in it is a four page spead on thing that can Kill your dog this summer.
BLUE GREEN ALGAE.
LILIES.
LABURNUM.
DAFFODILS.
CHERRY LAUREL.
CASTOR OIL BRUSH.
LILY-OF-THE-VALLEY.
PHILODENDRON.
and some other thing too i say go get this mag as it is was worth it this mth.   :rolleyes:
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline PennyB

Word Of Warning
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »
I think its best in the summer to only allow dogs to swim in running water (rivers or sea). Thankfully the only water round here is the River Taff, which of course is flowing as I don't take mine to the canal like others do.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!