Author Topic: Total ear canal oblation TECA.  (Read 1833 times)

Offline chriswilliams

Total ear canal oblation TECA.
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »
My dog Lily (5yrs)has ear infection problems caused by one of her ears having a greatly reduced ear canal. She has already had vestibular syndrome which has left her with a head tilt (12 months ago). Recently she had another infection which caused her eye to roll. The vet has said that due to her canal being so small further problems are inevitable. They have suggested a total ear canal oblation as the answer, has anybody had experience of this ?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Total ear canal oblation TECA.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 09:13:40 AM »
My last cocker Milo (see avatar) had very narrow ear canals, and after an ear mite episode he went gradually deaf. His eardrums disintegrated  aged about nine. He became prone to ear infections, and oblation was discussed. It's big operation, if you have Googled it you will see what a nasty procedure it is. My vet and I agreed to manage the condition with a rigorous regime of drops and special,ear cleaner, drops every day, the cleaner every other day, and he had his ears flushed out under GA maybe four or five times.  A friend of mine had her dog done, and the dog was never the same again and she wishes she had not had it done. We managed Milo's condition until he died aged 15, from something else, and I don't regret not having the procedure.

However, it is your decision, I would say do some research, maybe get a second opinion, particularly as your dog is young. I am only speaking as a lay person, so don't want to put you off. Sorry I can’t be of more help. Good luck with whatever you decide, and all the best to Lily.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline chriswilliams

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »
Update. when we arrived for surgery the vet decided to do an antibiotic inner ear treatment just in case the infections were inside the skull. What a great idea that was, the infection was cured and never came back, saved the surgery, saved the distress, saved the deafness and saved the cost.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »
That is such good news, thanks for letting us know.  Glad it all worked out.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »
Glad your dog didn't have to go through the op, what a relief!.  Watch those ears like a hawk! All the best.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
hope all is well
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 07:00:52 PM »
I've just tried colloidal silver ear drops for Bea, she gets yeast issues but this time the gunk looked more like pus  :020:  it has so far cleared it up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, especially as it's the allergy season.