Author Topic: Help with Lip Fold Dermatitis  (Read 5099 times)

Offline IonaD

Help with Lip Fold Dermatitis
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:39:00 AM »
Hi all,

I’m new to the board and my reason for joining now is I’m at my wits end with what to do about my cockers lip fold detmatitis!!

She is a two year old female called Bella and we live in Italy. About two months ago I took her to the vets after she developed a stinky mouth and they diagnosed the lip fold dermatitis. They prescribed antibiotics as it had got infected. It cleared up in no time but they advised I keep the area clean using a clorexyderm spray. This was fine but Bella hates me going anywhere near her lip fold as I presume it’s quite sore.

Within a month she had picked up another infection and we went back to the vets. She was put on another course of antibiotics and we were told to clean the area with clorexyderm wipes. She’s now finished the antibiotics. We are cleaning her mouth twice a day after she eats and I’ve changed her bowls from plastic to ceramic.

Cleaning the area is still an issue as she really hates it but it’s easier with the wipes.

Is there anything anyone can recommend to me in terms of managing this ongoing condition. I have read lots on the internet and much of it is conflicting. I guess I just wanted to know what other cocker owners had done to manage this and if surgery is really the only option in the end.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!x

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
Re: Help with Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 01:31:07 PM »
You may find that resorting to surgery is the best and kindest long term solution. One of my cockers has recently undergone the surgery and is now healed and comfortable with no prospect of the soreness ever returning.

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 07:13:25 AM »
I had exactly the same problem with Lola.
Hates me touching her mouth.
I put 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in with her morning food. I also changed her on to grain free.
It has sorted it out without needing surgery.
Good luck xx
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:25:14 AM »
Just to add,it needs to be apple cider vinegar ‘with the mother’ ie with the sediment which you can get from Amazon x
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »
My cocker struggled with lip fold infections some years back. After months of painful treatments and antibiotic creams we opted for surgery. The result was really good. Even the day after surgery she seemed happier and less painful. It healed quickly and without the need of more antibiotics since the infected tissue was removed and the blood supply in the area is excellent. Never had a problem since. Obviously I only have that one experience to draw from, so your vet will know what's best. But I am really glad I chose the surgery for my dog.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
Thank you so much for the replies so far.

I mean she seems fine in herself and always has done it’s just becoming such an ordeal having to clean her mouth I wanted to see what other alternatives were out there!!

I’ve ordered some apple cider vinegar (the one recommended from Amazon) so I’ll give that a try and if that doesn’t work we’ll be back to see the vets.

Thank you again.x

Offline Neil

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
Bobby is having the surgery tomorrow!

Offline IonaD

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
What is the average recovery time from the surgery? If we end up resorting to surgery she’ll need it on both sides.

Good luck for tomorrow Bobby!!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 04:27:34 PM »
With only the skin being involved it is a superficial surgery, so as soon as the stitches come out recovery should be over :) Other than the cone of shame being a nuisance, and leash walks being somewhat boring, the week after surgery was like any other week for us. They do both sides at the same time. I don't remember exactly how long the stitches were in, but it's usually about a week for stiches on a superficial wound, maybe 10 days at most?

Offline IonaD

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 05:35:34 PM »
Great info!! Thanks again for the help and advise on this guys.x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 06:14:13 PM »
Coco had persistent infections when she was young and ended up having the surgery.

No problems since, and it all healed up very quickly.  The surgery is on the outer folds of the mouth and so didn't bother her with eating etc.  I think she had soluble stitches, so they came out on their own.

In the meantime, you can wash with dilute Hibiscrub and dab dry to try and stop the lips remaining too soggy.

Hope you get things sorted soon
Julie and Watson

Offline Neil

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
Bobby had his operation yesterday, the pain killers are doing their job and he doesn't seem bothered by it. The vets gave me a cone collar just in case but, so far, I haven't needed to use it. He enjoyed his normal Saturday run (off lead) on  very windy Cleeve Hill earlier today.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
Good news, well done Bobby.  Heal quickly young man.  :luv:

Offline Toofast

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »
Before we discovered the "Working Type" we had the "Show Type", one of these had this problem and we had to have surgery.
This was a good decision, she healed up quickly and never had any further problems.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »
Glad to hear Bobby is doing well!!

We’ve just had the Apple Cider Vinegar delivered so we’re going to give that a go and see what happens from there.x