Author Topic: Advice on pumpkin amount  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Advice on pumpkin amount
« on: April 05, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
Since Ollie surgery he is not as frequent as normal and as the stitches are both internal and external around his rear end, I have got a tin of plain pumpkin but am unsure how much to give  - any ideas.
Last night I used one teaspoon of olive oil as per vet.  But know pumpkin has been mentioned on COL

Thanks Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Sara_Clara

Re: Advice on pumpkin amount
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »
Sorry, i can't answer your question re. amount but wondered if you could tell me where you bought the tin of pumpkin from as I have been trying for ages to buy some for my dog and can't find it anywhere.  If you can't tell me on the forum please message me.  Thank you so much.
Puppy Colour: Orange Roan
Puppy DOB: 22.04.2011
Puppy Name: Pebbles
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:42:01 PM »
We fed Alfie chicken, rice and pumpkin post surgery in that area. He wolfed it down. I saw lots of advice that said a spoonful in a mix of lots of chicken and some rice...we probably gave him much more than that.

We live in Australia, so pumpkin is very common all year round, we just boiled it from fresh (remove the seeds and skin - both are edible for humans, not so sure about dogs.) chop it up and then boil until soft...imagine boiling potatoes until they are probably softer than you meant. It will be gently crushable and moist. We then mixed about as much pumpkin as you can hold in both hands with 2-3 boiled chicken breasts that we shredded. We mixed in a cup (measured dry) of boiled rice (boiled in the water the chicken was boiled in to give it some flavour.) no salt or other seasoning.

The mix was probably more pumpkin than most recommend but our boy wolfed it down and had no major dramas with pooing, other than it took about 4 days to start...the vet said that was normal, but once he started he had no problem. The more pumpkin, the more orange it might look coming out the other end...this is normal.

If you are using tinned pumpkin make sure it isn’t the pie version with added sugar, etc. you read about that online, I think it’s popular in America. In Australia, pumpkin is available year round so always used fresh. if you can get your hands on fresh pumpkin, just cook it like potato. Any pumpkin variety is fine.

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 03:51:13 PM »
I should add, we would get 4-5 meals out of that amount! He didn’t eat it all in one sitting!

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
When my dog had the runs a few weeks ago I fed my dog a small amount of boiled white rice mixed with quarter of a tin of baby carrots. That sorted him out. Carrots are high in fibre like the pumpkin. I recommend giving that a try.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
Probably about a dessertspoon per meal would do.  Coco has a dollop of it on her food several times a week and a dollop of kefir too - in fact that might help to settle Ollie's tum too.  ;)

Sara Clara, do you have a Waitrose near you?  That's where I buy it - it is in the tinned fruit section.  You need to make sure it is just plain pumpkin with no sugar or anything else added  ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/18375868335850298159?lsf=seller:8225840,store:1351918526625936242&prds=oid:7873568657696799885&q=waitrose+tinned+pumpkin&hl=en&ei=rp6nXM3jG7qE1fAPxNiI6A4&lsft=gclid:EAIaIQobChMI0MCr6Mq54QIVAp3tCh3ZdQpPEAQYASABEgJGdvD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds
Julie and Watson

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
Psyllium husks are very popular here for digestive problems, both for constipation or for diarrhea. I‘ve started giving Humphrey about half a teaspoon over his dinner (he occasionally has anal gland problems). You can also soak a teaspoon full in some water overnight and mix it with his meals.

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
Remember that Butternut Squash is a type of pumpkin. When I lived I lived in Scotland, that was available fresh most of the year.

Chop into chunks, then chop the skin off (there will be a bit of waste...put it in your compost heap or dig into your garden!)  then boil the cubes like potato. My rule is that as long as pumpkin isn’t the MAIN ingredient then your mix is fine. Good for digestion and pretty much any other condition.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
Well the good news is he has been :clapping: The vet had never heard of the use pumpkin and said veg oil, so put a tps of olive oil on his small meals of poached salmon and Naturediet  sensitive/senior as  soft food.

Last night I just gave a heaped tps as had given olive oil earlier.  So today will give a dessertspoon.

The tinned pumpkin is also in larger Tesco - where they have the foreign food section, two types in my Tesco,   both the pure pumpkin and not the pie filling they had Libbys and Baking Buddy.

Once again thanks everyone,  I will keep him on pumpkin as I think with the internal stitches being there it will be best to give him some added fibre, a friend I used to work with gave her lab a weetabix every morning, not sure whether Ollie would like that.

Acciesboy yep do see butternut squash - also I read that sweet potato works, but it is what it says sweet!
Pumpkin fresh seem to just be for Halloween in UK.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Pam501

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
Hi. Just in case you are still looking for pumpkin you can get it from Amazon. I think about a tablespoon per day is ok