Author Topic: Kidney failure  (Read 3697 times)

Offline chriswilliams

Kidney failure
« on: April 19, 2019, 11:15:05 PM »
When we had lily we had issues getting the kc paperwork from the breeder, in fact it took over a year, during this time the breeder had had a few new litters. I have always been suspicious that the papers we received were not for our girl. She was the third girl we had purchased from them, the first, Sophie died suddenly with kidney failure at 9yrs. our new girl Lily has always been smaller than the others and more sickly. She is now 7yrs and has been diagnosed with Kidney failure and we think she is interbred too closely. Could this happen ?....  Either way we are devastated that our precious princess is ill and we know she is going to leave us soon, the medication etc is notworking and she wont eat anything, we are watching her give up and dreading the end as it will be the second girl to die of this disease too soon. It has only been a week since diagnosis and we dont know what to do.

Offline tritonx

Re: Kidney failure
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 12:04:27 AM »
I can't help with any advice, only to say I sympathise with how devastated you must be. I'm so sorry.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »
I'm sorry you are going through this again, I cannot emagine what you are going through.

From my understanding Interbreeding can cause issues, if you have two dogs with an issue and you breed from them then it can affect the pups, I think of it as concentrating an issue.

I asked so many questions of owners, breeders and people who show when starting my quest for a pup, one answer sticks in my mind " you can have the healthiest parents and still get a sickly pup"
Bea has a very low COI (inbreeding coefficient) but she has a very rare condition, this said I would always look for a pup with a low COI, if you have the correct paperwork for the pup then you can find this my registering with MyKC online.

You may never get the answers that you are looking for, but I hope we on COL can help you through this difficult time.

Sharon  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:26:37 AM »
Sorry to read about Lily, I have no advise but would like to send some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and hope something can be done for your little lady.

I lost my Smudge at just 6.5 years suddenly after a week long illness and I know how devastated you must be feeling. :'(
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »
I went through this too when Bobby was 8. It tore me up, I felt he and I were cheated of years of love.
His kidney condition wasn’t the one tested for.  Both of my well bred pedigree spaniels had unusual health problems.  My bad luck, and theirs. 
My heart goes out to you all.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »
I am so saddened to read this, and the heartbreaking time you are having, I really have no advice regarding the breeding.....just wanted to send my support to you all.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline chriswilliams

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:27:23 AM »
UPDATE
Thank you all for your support, it really does help. Yesterday we finally admitted defeat after 7 days of heartbreaking nursing of Lily, we knew that we could no longer let her suffer anymore. She now runs free of any pain and suffering. In her short 7yrs of life she brought us many happy times and these are what we will remember, she only ever wanted love and cuddles and attention from everyone she met. Poppy, her best friend is lost, as we are, the house and garden are not the same today and it will take a long time to come to terms with it as the memories are everywhere. She slept everynight curled around my head in bed like a hat and gently woke me every morning with her paws wanting me to tickle her tummy and when I stopped she would grip my hands and make me do more, goodnight Lily, run free until we meet again. x

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »
I am so very sorry for your loss and can only send my heartfelt sympathy.
You could no longer let your lovely girl suffer any pain.
Run free sweet Lily, know how much you are loved and missed
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
I’m sorry to hear your sad news. My heart goes out to you. It’s the most difficult thing in the world to do, especially so young, but in the end you know when the time is right.

Run free Lily...

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
So sorry to read your update. Run free at the Bridge Lily.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »
So very sorry. I know there are no words that will console you, the loss and pain can only be understood by those who have ever experienced that special bond we have with our beloved friends. One day, you will be able to remember Lily with a smile instead of tears and memories of the happy times will be those which remain in your heart. Run free little lady.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »
I am so very sorry for you all. It is pain like no other, my sincere sympathy. It is such a difficult decision to make even though you know in your heart that it is the right one. Run free sweet Lily. Pain free. Xx

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
It’s devastating. We know it takes time. So sorry.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline revis

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 07:05:47 PM »
Ifeel so sorry for you with the loss of your dear Lily.its the wonderful memories that you must think of.
Run free dear little Lily with no more pain.

Offline mg500

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 07:21:18 PM »
So sorry to hear your loss of Lily.

Everytime I read these sad posts I give my boy an extra big cuddle and promise him I will give him the best life I can.  He's only 1 and I cherish every moment with him as you just never know....