Author Topic: Stopped walking  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Kalli

Stopped walking
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:18:48 PM »
Hi
My cocker aged 7 over the last few months has just decided while out walking to sit down or lie down and refuse to go much further, is this common, I have checked for injuries and there is none, this can happen even after only being out 5 mins, we walk along a canal most days but recently this is becoming a every day habit that she is either brief or tired or just becoming lazy, any ideas?

Thanks darren

Offline Darwin

Re: Stopped walking
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »
Are there any other signs ? Shaking / Scared or Nervous ?
What happens if you walk a different route?

Offline Kalli

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
no other  signs, she doesn't do it on any other routes which was thinking maybe just bored with same canal walk

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
It could be that something has spooked her on a walk and is reluctant in case she is spooked again. I would avoid the canal and take her where she enjoys it.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
If she is fine on other routes, then there is obviously a reason why she doesn't like that walk  ;)  There could be all sorts of reasons why she doesn't want to walk there - assuming you are totally sure there is no medical reason why she doesn't want to walk :dunno:  It is not normal for cockers not to enjoy their walks - they are definitely not normally prone to laziness, so there must be some other reason. 

I would avoid the route and take her on walks that she enjoys or gently try and encourage her on that walk using treats or a game to see if she starts to feel more confident
Julie and Watson

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
I think both Holly and Joules advice is sound....something spooks them and we don't pick up on it, try another route and maybe a few rewards and jolly her along and see how it goes.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
Are there any friendly dogs you could try and walk along the canal route?  It does sound like fear or boredom if ok and jolly on other routes.  They are funny creatures arent they!

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
I experienced this with one of my Cockers , my advice would be get a blood test it is possible the dog is suffering from either kidney or Thyroid issues